VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2.0 16v with weber 45s. you know the normal setup. i have a weber pump and regulator. i am running 2 psi fuel pressure. the problem i am having is i am getting too much fuel into the engine. so mush fuel i am getting fuel in the oil. any ideas would be wonderful. thank you

·
Registered
8,674 Posts
So this then means you haven't changed the jetting at all, from how they were delivered to you. I hope you realize that they do not come jetted for your setup, they have a generic base jetting in them that will work to get most cars up and running...but will be absolutely horribly rich.

If you want real help, you'll need to provide a list of what jets, emulsion tubes, chokes, and aux vents are in them.

Are they syched? Have you set the idle speed? Have you set the idle mixture? Did you swap out the CIS because you thought carbs were easier? Just hunting for information here.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
i would pull off the tops of your carbs and check your float level. when i bought mine new, they were not set right. the newer webers have black plastic floats that are measured with the gasket in place. when they are hanging, the measurement should be 26-27mm and when just touching the needle, they should be 12mm. make sure also that the needle and seat are not stuck.
about the only other thing i can think of is that maybe you flooded it by stomping on the gas pedal too much trying to start it. when the engine is cold, hit the gas pedal 2-3 times, before turning the key. put your foot on the gas pedal but do not press it down. turn the key and when it fires, ease the pedal down slightly. dont pump it a bunch of times. i usually keep the revs at 1500-2000 for about 20-30 seconds then let it idle and warm up from there.
like B4S said, put your fuel pressure at 3. also, startoff with your mixture screws 21/2 turns out until you find where your lean best idle is at. if you end up at 13/4 turns out or less, you should get a richer idle jet. more than 31/4, get a leaner one.
your initial timing should also be at about 10-12 btdc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.