VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

My daughter has my '13 Passat in NYC and she recently brought the car home since the fan was so loud & shaking the car. On the way home to Princeton (about 80 miles) the temp gauge went as high as 190 + 5 notches (almost getting to 260 mark but not quite). Dealer diagnosed Big fan as dead & whent hey took it out the small fan had a stress crack bc it was working overtime. I also had them flush the cooling system while we were at it. I don't recall seeing the temp gauge ever go above 190F, and now that the car is back, I've been able to get it to go to +3 notches, she hit +4 notches on her way in NYC. This is still within the "normal" operating range according to the manual, but we've just never seen this behavior before. It will only hit +4 if she's at a light for 2-3 minutes, then it goes down once she starts moving. It seems to me that it's not starting the "cooling" cycle (for lack of a better term) till later than normal. What should we look for?

I know there's an issue with the heater core since the passenger side doesn't heat up (it may get "warm" but not "hot"0, but aside from that I'm not aware of any other cooling/heating issues. I'm just trying to get it to get her to Med School graduation next May, then she can buy whatever she wants on her dime.

Thoughts? Failing thermostat? I don't want her to get stranded in Brooklyn at night bc it overheated.

Thanks

·
Registered
13,131 Posts
Hi Everyone,

My daughter has my '13 Passat in NYC and she recently brought the car home since the fan was so loud & shaking the car. On the way home to Princeton (about 80 miles) the temp gauge went as high as 190 + 5 notches (almost getting to 260 mark but not quite). Dealer diagnosed Big fan as dead & whent hey took it out the small fan had a stress crack bc it was working overtime. I also had them flush the cooling system while we were at it. I don't recall seeing the temp gauge ever go above 190F, and now that the car is back, I've been able to get it to go to +3 notches, she hit +4 notches on her way in NYC. This is still within the "normal" operating range according to the manual, but we've just never seen this behavior before. It will only hit +4 if she's at a light for 2-3 minutes, then it goes down once she starts moving. It seems to me that it's not starting the "cooling" cycle (for lack of a better term) till later than normal. What should we look for?

I know there's an issue with the heater core since the passenger side doesn't heat up (it may get "warm" but not "hot"0, but aside from that I'm not aware of any other cooling/heating issues. I'm just trying to get it to get her to Med School graduation next May, then she can buy whatever she wants on her dime.

Thoughts? Failing thermostat? I don't want her to get stranded in Brooklyn at night bc it overheated.

Thanks
Is this a TDI?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.