VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 84 gti with a 1.8 16v in it I'm running cis. The problem is when the car warms up it starts to back fire and will hardly run any info on this matter would really help
thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
not sure,but i think a friend of mine,got the same thing!!!
dist up side down...he really had this,and the car was runing crap when warm,and the mani was on-fire!!

·
Registered
7,011 Posts
Re: need help 16v cis (JoebobVW)

I'd check the ecu's temp sensor, or the thermo time switch. Sounds like the engine is getting too much fuel when warm. Maybe the cold start injector is leaking?

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
yes,it will start!!!thrust me on that!
the tank pump maybe also shoot!this 2 things happened to the guy i know!

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Re: need help 16v cis (JoebobVW)

If the car is running too rich when warm then this can happen, try disconnecting your cold start injector, or pull it off and check for leaks.
Also, check your white coolant temp sensor. When the car is warm it should have ~200 ohms of resistance. When it is cold, 7k ohms. If it is bad and reading around 7k ohms when the car is hot the car will be most definitly running rich.
Definitly check your in tank pump, if you can get the car to run.... take the 3 screws off of the cover plate for the in tank pump and simply disconnect it. This should result in an immediate change of operation.
I have had it happen on a few cars I have worked on where it was "going" bad and suddenly after running for awhile the car will cut off, or have about 30 hp. Its $30-50 and fairly simple to change. You need 2 new small hose clamps for the fuel lines that connect to it, and a big pair of pliers to unscrew the cap in the tank. The Bentley manual walks you through it nicely.
The out of tank pump could also be going bad, but less likely. Turn your key to ignition on 10 times and let the out of tank pump run the full 3 second priming pump. As you are doing this if you hear a decreasing pitch come from the fuel pump and it sounds like it is struggling hard core then it is on its way to going bad. Also, if you hear gurgling that is air in the fuel box where the out of tank pump is. The air signifies a bad in tank fuel pump.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts