VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed by bsh race intake yesterday and loved it. I start my car up today, after driving for nearly the whole day, and notice the CEL is on :mad:. I look under the hood and saw that the silicone hose connecting to the noise pipe had come lose because I forgot to put the hose clamp back on, needed to move it access the silicone coupler on the turbo. I reconnected the hose but the CEL is still on. How can I get rid of it. I also noticed that the entire engine bay hot, I couldn't even touch the intake piping it was so hot. The temperature gauge stayed in the middle and never rose past that. I don't have VAG-COM so any help would be greatly appreciated.

· Registered
223 Posts
also i can hear this noise rather loudly. This is only at part throttle.
That little whistle noise your hearing is normal and sometimes slightly does it at idle for me. When the diverter valve relocate is released it is supposed to alleviate that noise. No worries though. I'll be doing a big write up hopefully whenever my damn apr system comes in. Just waiting once all the parts are installed and then it'll be the ultimate intake setup basically. So far I did the noise pipe delete and the firewall block off plate and the stage two pipe heatwrapped. Doing both charge pipes this week as well and trimmed up the engine bay as well.

· Registered
223 Posts
not sure I understand what hose your talking about. Are you talking about the pcv hose? if so it prob just through a vacuum leak code and now you just have to clear it....or maybe disconnect your neg batt terminal for 5 mins.

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
not sure I understand what hose your talking about. Are you talking about the pcv hose? if so it prob just through a vacuum leak code and now you just have to clear it....or maybe disconnect your neg batt terminal for 5 mins.
Tried disconnecting the battery but the light didnt go away. Here's a pic of the hose that came loose since I forgot to put the hose clamp back on (circled in red). Thanks for the help:thumbup:

not sure exactly what its called but could that coming off have caused the CEL to come on?

· Registered
1,249 Posts
hey man, install looks good....if all is ok, the cel will go away after a number of on/off's and a few miles...the computer will monitor and remove cel if all is ok, however it will retain the code for retrieval.... make sure you plugged in the maf sensor with the correct orientation and the connector is plugged in properly....also make sure the bsh intake at the turbo is nice and tight...

in the video...are you in park? i can't hear the noise you are talking about....your rev limiter will cut off ~4000 rpm, never engaging the turbo either......on the road it's your turbo spooling up....floor it and you'll hear it spool and scream like a banshee!!! if you delete the noise pipe it will improve 'noise' (make it less 'in the cabin').....circled in red is the 'noise pipe' - it's a useless cowl intake, vw's version! should not be the reason for your cel.... you can delete it as it is in the tiguans... look here... http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4922554-DIY-TSI-Tiguan-Pipe-Install-Noisemaker-Delete

...just wondering...is that the best spot for the crankcase vacuum filter?....would it not hang down behind the headlight cavity or below?!? ...it would receive better/cooler air down lower...just a thought, my cc version doesn't have that.

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey man, install looks good....if all is ok, the cel will go away after a number of on/off's and a few miles...the computer will monitor and remove cel if all is ok, however it will retain the code for retrieval.... make sure you plugged in the maf sensor with the correct orientation and the connector is plugged in properly....also make sure the bsh intake at the turbo is nice and tight...

in the video...are you in park? i can't hear the noise you are talking about....your rev limiter will cut off ~4000 rpm, never engaging the turbo either......on the road it's your turbo spooling up....floor it and you'll hear it spool and scream like a banshee!!! if you delete the noise pipe it will improve 'noise' (make it less 'in the cabin').....circled in red is the 'noise pipe' - it's a useless cowl intake, vw's version! should not be the reason for your cel.... you can delete it as it is in the tiguans... look here... http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4922554-DIY-TSI-Tiguan-Pipe-Install-Noisemaker-Delete

...just wondering...is that the best spot for the crankcase vacuum filter?....would it not hang down behind the headlight cavity or below?!? ...it would receive better/cooler air down lower...just a thought, my cc version doesn't have that.
Thanks for the help. I took the entire intake out and reinstalled it making sure all connections were proper and tight. I think I'm going to move the little breather filter like you said. After I installed it, it was late so i just threw it on. i think I'm going to bite the bullet and get vag com if ross tech will let me pick it up at their HQ, it's only 30 minutes away from my house. The noise you describe is what i hear when I drive. I guess I wasn't expecting the turbo to be so loud. I floored it from a light and at the next light the people next to me were looking like WTF!!

· Registered
90 Posts
I may have skipped reading the whole thing.. but I wanted to address the CEL light you have on.

Could you have turned on the engine with the MAF unplugged? This will certainly trigger the CEL and it might not go out on its own even though you plugged it in later on.

Sorry if this is a repeat. I think the noise "issue" is already handled

· Registered
1,249 Posts
hey...ditto mojo... and i was thinking and looked at your pic again...looks like your maf is backwards! ....looking at the harness and direction of connector (if it is stock harness)....it should be the other way around...double check the maf orientation...it's important!....the car will run without the maf, the computer just won't know what to adjust air/fuel mixture to, so bad mpg.

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey...ditto mojo... and i was thinking and looked at your pic again...looks like your maf is backwards! ....looking at the harness and direction of connector (if it is stock harness)....it should be the other way around...double check the maf orientation...it's important!....the car will run without the maf, the computer just won't know what to adjust air/fuel mixture to, so bad mpg.

I flipped the plastic piece at the top of the MAF around so the hole in the MAF is facing the incoming air. My VAGCOM will be here thursday and will post the codes up. Thanks to all of you for the help

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.