VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
2018 CAF USA low-floor light rail vehicle
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace the panel on the driver's side of the lower half of the dashboard, part #12 as seen here:

This is for a 2000 New Beetle, for which they've yet to write a Bentley manual. I need to know the # and location of screws, clips, tabs, etc., and whether or not any other parts need prior removal.
I assume this is like a Golf/Jetta, for which this part is in two halves (left and right). On that car, the endcap of the dash must first be popped off, then 2 screws and about 4 clips popped off the left half, which reveals one of the 2 screws (along with another 4 clips) holding the right half. However, on the Beetle, this is one piece, so I expect some differences.
Thanks

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Need help changing dash panel (MADBUG)

quote:[HR][/HR]The Bentley manual for 98/99 is the same.[HR][/HR]​
How do you know? Bentley for MY00 NB isn't out yet

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Need help changing dash panel (Turbobug)

Just the same, I really don't plan to buy a '99 manual for a '00 car when the '00 manual is due to be out soon. I shouldn't have to shell out $55 for the "wrong" manual just to answer a simple question, and answer which I should be able to find here

[Modified by g-man_ae, 8:25 AM 2-8-2002]

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Need help changing dash panel (MADBUG)

quote:[HR][/HR]It's not the wrong manual,dude!!! I have a 00 glx,and everything in there applies. [HR][/HR]​
Well then, since it's the same, it should be very easy to look up the answer to my simple question

Registered
Re: Need help changing dash panel (g-man_ae)

g-man: I don't have a NB Bentley and I haven't take apart the piece in question.
But after examining a NB it looks like there are 3 screws at the bottom of part 12. I'd guess you need might need to also remove part 9. In addition, unlike the GTI/Jetta the light switch and the dimmer switch are protruding through part 12 on the NB (so you may need to disconnect those too). Good luck.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Need help changing dash panel (BoraVR6)

quote:[HR][/HR]g-man: I don't have a NB Bentley and I haven't take apart the piece in question.
But after examining a NB it looks like there are 3 screws at the bottom of part 12. I'd guess you need might need to also remove part 9. In addition, unlike the GTI/Jetta the light switch and the dimmer switch are protruding through part 12 on the NB (so you may need to disconnect those too). Good luck. [HR][/HR]​
Thanks, BoraVR6 and Jolf - you've been real helpful, unlike a few other post-ers here

BTW, there are two more screws that hold on Part 12. They're on the right-most flange, hidden by Part 3 and possibly Part 4. How do I remove these? I think 3 just snaps out, but I'm not sure about 4. C'mon, people with Bentleys', help out a fellow Vortex'er

Registered

If memory serves me correctly, part 12 is also held in the center with one screw that connects it to the right under-side panel. It shouldn't be too hard to do, I took out my entire center dash w/out a Bentley just by pulling on panels and feeling for screw points.
And I believe MadBug is correct, interior-wise the Beetle hasn't changed.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Need help changing dash panel (silversport)

quote:[HR][/HR]If memory serves me correctly, part 12 is also held in the center with one screw that connects it to the right under-side panel. It shouldn't be too hard to do, I took out my entire center dash w/out a Bentley just by pulling on panels and feeling for screw points.[HR][/HR]​
Well, unfortunately, Part 3 had two more screws than I could find; they are hidden (I discovered too late) by Parts 5 & 6. One too many light tugs, and crack
I broke the threaded hole behind Part 5
Luckily, it broke in a way that was easy to glue back together.
Oh well, this whole project was unimportant anyway... It can wait until the MY2000 Bentley is published, then I'll re-order Part 12 (and then, order Part 3!) and do it right. Thanks for trying to help, Jolf, BoraVR6, Silversport http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Registered

quote:[HR][/HR]And I believe MadBug is correct, interior-wise the Beetle hasn't changed.
[HR][/HR]​
Thank you!!

The thing to remember about taking apart the NB interior,it's a big freaking jig-saw puzzle!! You have to take half the car apart to do one thing.

Registered

quote:[HR][/HR]Well, unfortunately, Part 3 had two more screws than I could find; they are hidden (I discovered too late) by Parts 5 & 6. One too many light tugs, and crack
I broke the threaded hole behind Part 5
Luckily, it broke in a way that was easy to glue back together.[HR][/HR]​
Dang!
I think I forgot to add the part about me cracking a few pieces off too! Sorry about that...
What type of glue did you use to put things back together?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

quote:[HR][/HR]What type of glue did you use to put things back together?[HR][/HR]​
Some type of super glue, similar to Krazy-Glue. On part 3, the plastic cracked about 1/8" all around around the left front speed nut. The edges where it broke off were pretty jagged, thus I was able to easily fit it right back in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.