VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have gone to 6 events so far and I wanted to move up to some R-compound tires. I have chosen between the Nitto NT-01 and the Yokohama Advan A048R.
If any one could help me choose a tire or give me any suggestions I would appreciate it.
The car is a 2002 VW GTI with an 8.5X17 inch wheel. I am going to be running a 245 width.

· Registered
1,746 Posts
Re: Need help choosing a tire for HPDE. (Mk1Racer)

Quote, originally posted by Mk1Racer »
Toyo Proxes RA-1

These might be next set I buy. 235/40/17. I don't beleive they make them in 245.
Other options: (there pricey) Michelin Pilot Sport Cups in 245/45/17
Nitto NT01 225/45/17 (I don't think 245 is an option with these)

Modified by fluevog at 1:53 PM 8-23-2006

· Registered
12,679 Posts
Re: Need help choosing a tire for HPDE. (Mk1Racer)

Quote, originally posted by Mk1Racer »
Toyo Proxes RA-1

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Toyo makes a great HPDE tyre. Unlike the Azenis, it doesn't overheat without provocation and it wears like iron while still maintaining grip. FWIW, we started a 12-Hour event at Nelson Ledges on a full-treat set of Toyos and ran the ENTIRE EVENT with 2 tyre changes - one for a broken valve stem due to contact and the other as a precautionary measure.

· Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Need help choosing a tire for HPDE. (mgyip)

Thanks for all the sugestions and I will look into the Toyo. I don't class the Azenis as a R compound, but they make an awsome street tire.
And Nitto makes them in a 24/45/R17.
Any more feedback would be appriciated. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
12,679 Posts
Re: Need help choosing a tire for HPDE. (BatesGTI)

The Azenis isn't an R-compound tyre but it is damn close - it was ostensibly developed for street-tyre classed Solo events and they're OK for track events. The biggest downside to them is that they overheat quickly and get "greasy".

· Registered
1,746 Posts

Quote, originally posted by BatesGTI »
And Nitto makes them in a 24/45/R17.

I stand corrected.
I'm looking a 245 or 235 tire, however I'm affraid of rubbing. The Nitto in 225/45 is 24.8 inches in diamater on the other hand the 245/45 is close to an inch taller at 25.6.
My main concern is rubbing.
As for more options: Hankook Ventus 211 http://www.hankooktireusa.com/...id=57

· Registered
8,884 Posts

Quote, originally posted by BatesGTI »
Thanks for all the sugestions and I will look into the Toyo. I don't class the Azenis as a R compound, but they make an awsome street tire.

I was thinking along the same lines as you and came up with this thought. The Azenis isn't as sticky as the RA-1, but it is ~$50 cheaper (at least in the size I was looking at) and will probably last twice as long. You can get both in the same 235 x 40 x 17 size.

· Registered
217 Posts
As you guys get em, post back in with some driving impressions of the tires. I am looking along the same lines for HPDE days after smokeing my passenger front at Pacific Raceways this Monday...someone got a little over zealous dropping front tire pressures...and I will need to replace the fronts as the that track is tough on right fronts, and it was going to happen soon anyway. Though I may stick witht eh Dunlop Sport Maxx's as they make a great daily tire, awesome in the rain and a hoot on the track...and drift 5a and 5b very nicely!
Cheers!
Scott

· Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (Red Jett)

Yea I was concerned about rubbing as well, but now I run a 245/40/r17 and don't have much in the way of rubbing. I have plenty of room before the coilover sleeve. Also you have to remember that it is 1 inch over all diamater so 1/2 on top and 1/2 on the bottom.
I found a place in town where I can get the RA-1's for about 215 a tire so if the Yoko falls through I might just go that route.
And on the Azenis Vulcan tire has them for around 120 a tire with 25 shipping.
But I will leave some feed back on the tires next month after the event.

· Registered
1,969 Posts

I haven't run the A048s, but I am on my second set of A032s in 245s. I love them, and while they are available - they're dirt cheap. I wouldn't hesitate to try the 48s. I have also heard great things about the Toyos. A friend runs them in USTCC and they are grippier than my 32s. I haven't run the PCS, but I am sure it is awesome from the feedback I have heard. Nothing on the Nitto, though.

· Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Need help choosing a tire for HPDE. (AutoXMan)

Yea I would assume that the 48's are simmilar to the 32 execpt that they are a harder compound for track use. But that seems like the tire I will go with if I can find them. Otherwise R1's it will be.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.