VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12,064 Posts
You really need to read the rules for auto-x for the various classes, Stock, Street Prepared, STS, and on. In stock, Shocks are free to change, but springs and coil-overs are NOT an option. Same with the motor, no "real" mods allowed (other than an air filter and maybe a Cat-back system).

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I have been reading through them recently. I'm aware that the only legal mods I can do in H stock will be the shocks, exhaust, FSB, street tires, and an air filter.

I'm trying to think ahead to when I will likely be running FSP or ST and the coilover setup will be legal.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Congrats on the GTI purchase.

If you are building a dedicated racer that is one thing and as you know, or will soon find out, you have the wrong car. It has been a long time since a VW MK1 was "the car to have" for any SCCA class. I have a dedicated autox '83 GTI fully built for SMF and love it but know that had I put this same level of prep into another marque I would likely be faster.

Build the car YOU want then run it in the appropriate calss.

Here are some class highlights of allowable mods:

Stock - any tire that will fit (including R compound), lighter wheels (oem size), shocks, alignment, brake pads, cat back exhaust

Street Prepared - the above plus any wheel size that will fit without significant body changes (slight rolling of fenders OK), shocks, springs, sway bars, bushings (must retain all OE suspension attachment points), seats, harness, ANY fuel management (stand alone, carbs, etc), limited slip differential, short shifter. CAN'T swap rear drums to disks on the MK1 and MUST retain full interior.

Street Mod, Front - all of the above plus ANY engine from the same marque and forced induction are allowed. This means you can run a 20v turbo from a late model if you wish or in my case a built 2.0 liter with a twin screw supercharger. Subframe bracing, rear disks, can remove rear seat, ball joint extenders, shift mechanism changes, etc.

FSP is fun and FAST. I ran there for several years and more and more new front wheel drive cars are fallig into this class so it is fun. If you like making changes to your car, you might quickly tire of the limitations on power in this class but a fully prepared FSP rabbit can handle spectacularly!!! If you need any suspension setup advice, let us know. I know I've tried several configurations and some definitely work better than others.

Good luck and have fun :thumbup:

·
Registered
9,917 Posts
Congrats on the GTI purchase.

If you are building a dedicated racer that is one thing and as you know, or will soon find out, you have the wrong car. It has been a long time since a VW MK1 was "the car to have" for any SCCA class.

FSP is fun and FAST. I ran there for several years and more and more new front wheel drive cars are fallig into this class so it is fun. If you like making changes to your car, you might quickly tire of the limitations on power in this class but a fully prepared FSP rabbit can handle spectacularly!!! If you need any suspension setup advice, let us know. I know I've tried several configurations and some definitely work better than others.

Good luck and have fun :thumbup:
Common now man, FSP is THE Spot for the mk1 and it still holds its own regionally and nationally. I was just watching the NATS in like 11/12 and the old players were still at the top of the game in their respective mk1's. FSP cars are fun as all hell on the street and the autox course. There have been mk1's on the podium at nationals in FSP for YEARS and even with the addition of the hondas and mazdas, they still have their place, and always will

·
Registered
9,917 Posts
The best thing you can do is start with the car in stock, move to FSP after a season and run there until you have built the car to the absolute limit of fsp. From there its a short jump and a lot of engine work and you can run prepared. That is probably 10+ years of fun and development :thumbup:

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Yeah I think that with the maintenance, etc. I want to do this summer as "due dilligence" for the age of the car, etc. I probably won't run it this year but I'll plan on next summer for sure. Given the amount of times I'm going to hear "Dude! You need to lower it!" Right off the bat I'm probably going to go straight past H Stock and into ST because of a coilover setup.

What would you guys recommend for a Ground Control Coilover setup in terms of struts and spring rates?

Likewise what's your take on sway bar setups? I've read a decent number of big FSB and no rear sway arguments but I'd love to hear about your experiences with that too.

Figure this will be a "weekend car" in every sense and splitting some time between autocross and an occasional longer drive to shows like SOWO.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts