VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Need help diagnosing power steering issues...

765 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  seL 
#1 ·
So I turn on the car this morning to move it into the driveway and get it ready for the first show/bbq that I have been to all summer, and much to my dismay, as reliable as the car has been for me, the power steering sounded like it was in pain

Only when I am on the gas, anytime I try to nudge the steering to either side, the power steering buzzes. The fluid is full, and nothing is leaking, what could it be? Is the pump on it's way out or is the rack toast?
This really sucks, the first gathering I was actually planning on attending and this ish happens. The steering still feels fine, just the buzzing, but I don't like chancing anything, so it stays parked until I figure it out and fix it.
Oh yea, the motor is a 98 OBD2 VR6, still on the original power steering pump/rack, about 148xxx km.
Pic for views:

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Need help diagnosing power steering issues... (seL)

If the steering still feels fine, it might be the pump bearing on it's way out. See if you can check that while it's parked with a stethoscope or a stick to your ear while a buddy turns the wheel to make the noise. Put the stick on the pump and see if that is where the noise is coming from.

#6 ·
Re: Need help diagnosing power steering issues... (need_a_VR6)

If it is this said bearing, which it definitely sounds like, can I rebuild the pump, or replace the bearing? I will buy new if I must, but I noticed there is a core charge when you buy one, so that leads me to believe they are rebuildable.

#10 ·
Re: Need help diagnosing power steering issues... (VRSexed)

Quote, originally posted by VRSexed »
Did you go with a new OEM pump or a rebuilt unit? I have somewhat of the same issue with my pump, more so when approaching full lock.

New OEM because I got a deal on it. From what I heard though, a new pump is just as good as a rebuilt one as most pumps out there are rebuilt units anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.