VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Corrado ppl,
when shifting into 3rd gear, it just grinds....... push clutch down... shift to 3rd...... release clutch..... grind........ it feels as though 3rd gear isn't fully engaged.......
what is the problem?????????
NEED HELP FAST!!!!!!

·
Registered
862 Posts
Re: NEED HELP FAST!!!!!VR6 tranny.......3rd gear grind....... what is the problem? (vwguin)

sounds like shifter linkage to me

·
Registered
72 Posts
Re: NEED HELP FAST!!!!!VR6 tranny.......3rd gear grind....... what is the problem? (vwguin)

Sounds like you need to readjust your shifter cable.
If you recently changed your tranny oil. Make sure it is redline or factory stuff. I tried the mobil 1 gear oil and it wouldn't go in 1st dead cold. So I witched back to red line.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Re: NEED HELP FAST!!!!!VR6 tranny.......3rd gear grind....... what is the problem? (cheapspeed)

There are 2 posiblities that I have run into most times. First is there is a bushing at the bottom of the shifter that wears out and causes it to be hard to switch into particular gears. The other is syncros inside the transmission, usually though 2nd is the first to go, not 3rd so I would look at the bushings and linkage first.

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: NEED HELP FAST!!!!!VR6 tranny.......3rd gear grind....... what is the problem? (VR6Jim)

I had the tranny rebuilt by Todd at AWE about 5months ago. I'm running Redline MT90... and this problem just started about 2days ago and today it goes into 3rd gear about half the time..... I trid the cable adjustment to no avail..... I'm thinking its the cables themselves or the gear selecter on the tranny itself is busted....
where exactly is the bushing??????????
Any other ideas????????
Thanks for your help.
Jonathan

[Modified by vwguin, 1:57 AM 5-31-2002]

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

any of you experience this b4???

·
Registered
872 Posts

mine grinds too ..but only when i shift fast and hard

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Re: NEED HELP FAST!!!!!VR6 tranny.......3rd gear grind....... what is the problem? (Uncle Ben)

if Todd rebuilt it for you 5 months ago you should have a limited warranty on his work ?

·
Registered
8,282 Posts
Re: NEED HELP ..what is the problem? (GranTouring InjectedVR6)

quote:[HR][/HR]if Todd rebuilt it for you 5 months ago you should have a limited warranty on his work ?[HR][/HR]​
Exactly... bring it to todd. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: NEED HELP FAST!!!!!VR6 tranny.......3rd gear grind....... what is the problem? (VR6Jim)

thanks for the help...
I got the Bentley..........
any other suggestions?????

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.