VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 90 jetta 8v and today for the second time I am having this trouble. The first time I drove the car home and I went out a few hours later and the car ran fine. Well this is the prob. about a 1/4 mile from my home the car would lose all power when accel, but if I let off the gas it would accel at a low rate. Once I got it home it would hardly run and I would try to start it and it would start and run at 200 rpm then jump to about 1000 but if I would hit the gas it would rev to about 2g and die. Anyone know what this could be.
things I checked, I have spark and the plugs look fine. I have fuel pressure at the fuel rail, and I checked the injector harness plug with a test light and it flickers like it should. I am thinking maybe the air meter or something is not working correctly???.
Thanks in advance for any ones help
Ian

·
Registered
Mk4 VR6, Mk2 16v, E30, P71, Accord DD
4,298 Posts
Re: NEED HELP FAST!!! (vwdriver92)

My experience tells me it may be the MAF, or the ECU. But before you go throwing parts at it, I reccommend checking the wiring. I had to do extensive rehabbing of the harness connector for my MAF because of corroded connectors. Then, a few weeks later, one of the joints I soldiered broke, and the car ran REALLY rich and started behaving slightly like it did when the ECU went kaput (big bill at the dealer). Your acceleration problem is exactly what happened as the ECU died in my car

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: NEED HELP FAST!!! (fopeano)

yeah well I am thinking ECU cause I did grab the ecu from a yard 2 months ago cause the other one craped out cause a ground wire for the ecu broke off of the terminal and when the ecu was hooked back up it would not work the injectors. I got enough fuel pressure and I got spark, I am gonna check all of my wiring 2 morrow and check stuff out with my metter like the MAF at the ECU conector and make sure it reads out. At least the yard i goto will lend me a ECU to see if that is it. I am gonna swap it right out 2 morrow and see if it fires up

·
Registered
Mk4 VR6, Mk2 16v, E30, P71, Accord DD
4,298 Posts
Re: NEED HELP FAST!!! (vwdriver92)

Yeah, I feel for you, dude. I've been through the yards over it, and I have a stack of useless ECU's to show for it (037 906 022 CS's). I ended up having the dealer fix it, and they told me it had the wrong ECU. They put in a 037 906 022 FH, and said it was the right one. The truth is that the CS was O.E., and it superseded to the FH back in 92.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.