VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1994 Mk3 Jetta 2.0 ABA USDM. Not Sure which pairs of cables go to which terminal and if the positive cable is supposed to be cut and wired to the cooling fan module.
1st pair is a brown&white cable and Orange cable
2nd pair is a solid red cable and red&white cable
And im not sure if the positive cable is supposed to be cut and put onto the CFM or not. I've not been able to find any pictures of any other mk3 jetta with it wired like that.
Hand Finger Thumb Automotive tire Terrestrial plant

Tire Bicycle tire Automotive tire Tread Hood

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Car

Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
1994 Mk3 Jetta 2.0 ABA USDM. Not Sure which pairs of cables go to which terminal and if the positive cable is supposed to be cut and wired to the cooling fan module.
And im not sure if the positive cable is supposed to be cut and put onto the CFM or not. I've not been able to find any pictures of any other mk3 jetta with it wired like that.
View attachment 235495
View attachment 235494
View attachment 235497
View attachment 235496
Whaatnot:

You need to look at a Bosch manual. I rewired my ABA with new 2 gauge wiring and terminals.

·
Registered
669 Posts
The brown and brown/white wires go to the negative terminal. The red and red/white wires go to the positive terminal. The main black battery cable goes to the FCM to provide power. It looks nasty and corroded though. I'm assuming this a rust belt/east coast car? I would clean and protect all connections.

You need to look at a Bosch manual.
What's a Bosch manual gonna do? Do you mean Bentley?

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
The brown and brown/white wires go to the negative terminal. The red and red/white wires go to the positive terminal. The main black battery cable goes to the FCM to provide power. It looks nasty and corroded though. I'm assuming this a rust belt/east coast car? I would clean and protect all connections.

What's a Bosch manual gonna do? Do you mean Bentley?
Yes. Bentley. My bad.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
View attachment 235495
View attachment 235494
View attachment 235497
View attachment 235496
Whaat:

The black cable in your hand goes to the block with a ring terminal. That's the negative ground cable. Goto wiringproducts.com. They have wire/cable for everything. And connectors. Baking soda/water will remove that greenish oxidation mess. That little metal T clip grounds the cable to the body. Needs 2 grounds to make a circuit. Everything needs to be cleaned and/or replaced. The FCM has nothing to do with starting. They just made it like that.😁

·
Registered
28 Posts
This is going to be one of the most useful pages to have bookmarked working on VWs. It won't replace a Bentley manual, but it's way better than nothing.

Brown is always ground in Volkswagens (in my experience, always double check), heavy black cable is negative to the battery, frame, and block. Don't know if it's supposed to be on the fan module like that but it's just ground anyways, so it's probably not an issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts