VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Re: need help finding racing harnesses (Boost112)

Try this: http://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/catalog/restraints/restraintmain.html
As for where to mount them: If you have a roll bar/cage, you can mount the shoulder harnesses to the cross tube that runs horizontally from the main hoop down tubes. If you don't have a roll bar/cage then you may have problems installing the shoulder harnesses to manufacturer's recommendations. Remember what happned to Dale Earnhardt? As for the lap belts, they can be mounted in the existing holes in the floor. The submarine belt will require drilling a hole in the floor pan in front of the driver's seat. If this is a street car, take it from someone that used to race, these can be a pain in the a$$ to put on and take off everytime you get in/out of the car, especially the shoulder harnesses. They may look cool but you'll get sick of 'em. And, unless you get the pads that slide over the shoulder harnesses, they'll cut into your skin if you cinch them down too tight. And I'll guarantee the ladies will hate the way they feel, too. You may want to give this some more thought.

·
Registered
7,748 Posts
Re: need help finding racing harnesses (Bronco638)

The only Harnesses legal for street use are the Schroth Rallye 3 & 4. I would highly suggest looking into them.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Re: need help finding racing harnesses (1987&2001Jettas)

quote:[HR][/HR]The only Harnesses legal for street use are the Schroth Rallye 3 & 4. I would highly suggest looking into them. [HR][/HR]​
yup.

·
Registered
7,748 Posts
Re: need help finding racing harnesses (AbqVR6)

From the thread that was linked too.

Please note this is not a good way to mount the harness. This more than likely will not pass tech inspection. To correctly mount the inner point, you need to weld a plate in underneath the car and then drill through the tunnel and plate. The place shown above was designed for the stock belts and may not be able to take the different forces applied by a harness. The places to mount the belts are:
Outboard: use the bolt that holds the seat belt or rail to the car. Mounting to the bar in a GTI is not acceptable.
Inboard: see above.
Rear: mount to only approved points by the belts manufacturer.

·
Banned
397 Posts

Running Scroth Rally 4's and highly recomend them. Make sure to get the double buckle feature if its in your street car, this makes it much easier to get in and out of the back.

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: need help finding racing harnesses (fitch)

so i guess the best thing is to get the schroth, and the best way to mount the bottom part of the harness is with(im guessing) through the floor and not the stock seatbelt bolts like some other people have recommended for me?
but then where exactly do you mount the last part of the harness, does it go to the trunk or where else is a good place. pics would be great.
--Boost112

·
Registered
427 Posts

last time i checked, scroth harnesses were only 4 point and were less safe than your stock seatbelt. don't bother with harnesses unless you A) get 5 point and B) have a 6 point roll bar to anchor them to. And i mean a welded in chromoly or mild steel roll bar, not PVC monkey bars like they put in hondazzzzzzz with scroth harnesses and fire extinguishers on the a-pillar.

[Modified by MadCat, 9:12 AM 2-3-2003]

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Re: need help finding racing harnesses (MadCat)

You can get the Yarrowsport rear sway bar and can mount the harness' to it. Get the scroth ones by the way. Talk to drivrswntd he is in with the Yarrow guys http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
7,748 Posts
Re: need help finding racing harnesses (DohRado)

quote:[HR][/HR]if you put in racing harnesses you're going to need a roll bar or roll cage. without it your head will be crushed in a rollover.[HR][/HR]​
This is a misconception. As long as the harness is mounted correctly (i.e. to the rear seatbelt poits and not the floor behind the seat) in a rollover the seat back will give way. Also It would have to be a severe roll over to crush the roof down far enough to cause problems. There have been several guys on here roll cars with harnesses and no cages and they walked away. The structure of the roof is very substatial.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Re: need help finding racing harnesses (1987&2001Jettas)

In the manual that come with the schroth harness, the VW/AUDI inboard mounting point is the only picture it shows, and that is where it depicts.
i could be wrong, but if SHCRoTH recomends it, i dunno....
welding a plate wold be MUCH stronger, but i don't have the time/patience for that.
thnaks for your time,
ABQVR6

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
Re: need help finding racing harnesses (MadCat)

quote:[HR][/HR]last time i checked, scroth harnesses were only 4 point and were less safe than your stock seatbelt. don't bother with harnesses unless you A) get 5 point and B) have a 6 point roll bar to anchor them to. And i mean a welded in chromoly or mild steel roll bar, not PVC monkey bars like they put in hondazzzzzzz with scroth harnesses and fire extinguishers on the a-pillar.

[Modified by MadCat, 9:12 AM 2-3-2003][HR][/HR]​
Says who... Scroth belts are not some cheapies from Pep Boys.. They are TUV approved and street legal... They are designed ot be mounted ot the stock seat belt anchor points..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts