VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys i need help, my friend is gettin a supra pretty soon, he has narrowed his search down, but this guy lives far. When buying the car what are the main points he should look for and if any of you guys are from buffalo and know a great mechanic who can check the car out for some money then i would like that information.
specs:
'94 yellow twin turbo supra
6-speed manual transmission
super dragger exhaust
boost controller
HKS intake
46k miles
since the car pictures are hosted on angelfire, i can post them, but i can give you the link. Yellow supra
Thanks for the help guys

[Modified by GoGTIGo, 8:25 AM 11-27-2001]

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Need help, friends gettin a supra (W0lfsburg4)

hehe me too, but i get to drive it and im down with that. i jus wanna help him so he doesnt get a f*ck*d up car.

·
Registered
35,188 Posts
Re: Need help, friends gettin a supra (GoGTIGo)

quote:[HR][/HR]hehe me too, but i get to drive it and im down with that. i jus wanna help him so he doesnt get a f*ck*d up car.[HR][/HR]​
Honestly, what I would do is try to arrange to have the car dyno'd. Since it sounds like it's using the stock sidemount intercooler it should put down somewhere around 360whp if he's set the boost controller to make around 1.3 bar or so. If it only puts down 310 or something you'll know there's something wrong with it.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Re: Need help, friends gettin a supra (AZGolf)

First and foremost, get a Carfax....
BUT, Carfax only keeps records on things reported to insurance, so it's good to do your own check on the car.
Things to check...
1.Paint - is it an aftermarket paint job? If so, remember in market value, the car is worth less. If he's paying extra for the yellow paint job, check the quality and thuroghness of the job. Checking for dust under the paint, seeing if the paint was done on a superficial level or was a complete re-spray of everything....etc.
2. Accidents- look for weld marks in the engine bay along joints.. tell-tale sign of accident repair, or look for clamp marks beneath the car on the chassis to see if the car was on a frame machine. Panels that don't seem to fit right, etc etc.
the car looks beautiful though... nice buy http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
-Noah

·
Registered
25,383 Posts
Re: Need help, friends gettin a supra (THE Wuss)

Whew! When I saw the title, I figured you were going to ask how you'd be able to beat him.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Need help, friends gettin a supra (16vracer)

i might be on crack once in a while but i aint stupid enuff to race him, completely different classes.

i need help guys, come on help me out and you would be giving me the pleasure of drivin one of those cars
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
644 Posts

I have a personal rule that I NEVER buy a car from someone who did mods to it or even looks like he might have raced it. It might be stupid and overly cautious but, that's the way I play it.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Need help, friends gettin a supra (jasonhouse)

yea personally i would spend the money on gettin a reliable new car, but he wants a supra, so to each his own, but i want to help him out as much, dont want him gettin screwed

·
Registered
8,087 Posts

Well the car should run about 30k any less and start talking serious questions. Most TT Supra owners know what they have. It's the Grand Nationial of the Import tuning world. Several here in Tx with over 700hp driven on the Road. Really a Dyno or have a turbo mechanic look at it is your best bet. The motors are pretty bullitproof but they turbos have been known to go.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Re: Need help, friends gettin a supra (Bug_Power)

I remember seeing a 95 black tt Supra in the Autotrader with 59k on the odo. Guy was asking $16,500. I still kick myself for not buying that car. Insurance would be killer for me though I just turned 20

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Re: Need help, friends gettin a supra (megadome)

Depends on where you are. I'm sure in Wisconsin, Supras aren't exactly the hottest commodities.
Still for $16.5K I'd pretty pretty suspicious.
Here in Maryland, I've seen earlier 93 and 94 twin turbo models in decent condition going for under $20K. But the 97 and 98s w/ low mile easily go for $35K.
Also an 7-8 year old car only has 46K miles? Definitely check that VIN on carfax.
And normally I'd agree to stay away from modded cars, but from everything I've ever read, the manually equipped Supra TT's drivetrain is bulletproof. Also I'd feel more confident buying a car like this from an enthusiast because yes the car has probably been driven hard, but it's probably also been VERY well-taken care of. I mean, how many of us on this forum baby our cars? Wash it every week, change the oil every X miles, get paranoid over every little funny noise, notice every .001 loss in hp?
I can only imagine how anal someone would be with a car costing twice as much. The sellers I'd be nervous about are the ones that DIDN'T know what they had. The ones that know they have a fast car so they beat the hell out of it but don't give a rat's a$$ and/or have a clue about its maintenance. I think we all know boneheads like that.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Need help, friends gettin a supra (Jay24)

the car is selling for 25k, but edmunds says it should be 17,000

·
Registered
362 Posts

If you're buying something already BPU then you might worry. A car that's been raced or modded can show up in any condition (internals). I'd be careful on a already modded car. The last owner could have abused the crap out of the car.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Re: Need help, friends gettin a supra (Silvino)

I heard ther are only around 5000 supra TT 6-speed ever sold in U.S from 93-98.... so that is a very rear car indeed.
But i also heard there are NO yellow supra in 94. so you know that car has been repainted for sure......
My friend used have a 94 supra TT 6-speed too.... but he crash it then sold it......man what a car..... just put down 5k mods then it can eat a Z06 alive....
Just three things.
1. Not factory paint.
Why he re-paint it... ? perhaps some little collision on the road maybe... ?
2. Been mods.
Me personally will never buy a used mods turbo car.... although supra engine and tranny is super strong, but the car is 8 years old already....
3. Super Low milage.
This only remind me 2 things... either the odometer has been temper with or the car was in the shop for quite a wile....just thihk about it....8 year with only 46k mile ? he most come from a very small town....
If your friend really want the car....he really need to bring a mechanic to check the car for him.
i guess he probelly not going to let you check under the dashboard for the odometer.. but ask him where he did his service, and go there check his service record. see his service period is even or not...
Good luck to your friend...

·
Registered
3,592 Posts

I'd say a really important piece of info you need to know that nobody mentioned is why the hell is he selling the car?!
If he hesitates on the answer... walk.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Re: Need help, friends gettin a supra (nate1.8t)

If this guy is in the queens area of nyc, don't buy it!
I'm just making an assumption, but i've seen a yellow tt supra that is modded and beat the hell out of. Only yellow tt supra i've seen around here.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Re: Need help, friends gettin a supra (OoNaveLoO)

on the toyota supras you can unplug the odometer it is electrical. almost everyone that i knew with one unplugged it. check the plastic around the screws of the odometer to see if they have been scratched or used. they are pretty easy to unplug and keep the miles low.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts