VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.
I got my buddy to start looking at Passats since i love my A4. We test drove the GLS and a GLX over the weekend and loved them. Is the GLX worth the price difference though?
Also we been seeing 2002 GLX with 36k miles going for around $19k. Does that sound right? We even saw a 2004 GLX with 12k miles going for $23k.
Since the price is already around $23k that hes in, can he buy a brand new GLS for that much? The one he priced out came to $25k brand new. How much are they dealing off sticker price now for a GLS?
Also if he did get a GLS, can he buy the wood trim somewhere online after he bought the car?
Sorry for all the questions.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Re: Need help from new Passat owners, looking to buy one (CrazyQuattroA4)

I am shopping for a Passat Wagon and have found new 2004 GLS wagons, manual trans, with cloth and ESP for $20-21k. THat said, we are getting a used one, but low mileage. I was offered a new 2004 GLX for $25k.
As far as I can tell (new to Passats) the GLX has the wood trim, and it has a the V6, but the GLS has a 1.8 turbo or V6. So that's a big difference.
I went to vw.com and found all the dealers within 100 miles. Then I emailed all of them with exactly what I was looking for. THe responses ranged widely, but some great offers came back.
For us, we want manual trans and the 1.8t engine, so the GLS it was!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, CrazyQuattro was referring to me, as I am selling my 330ci to reduce my payments and buy real estate.
I'd like the V6, it was smooth when I drove an '01 with 36k miles. I found a '04 with 12k miles and wasnt sure if $23k was too much or not? I am sure I can negociate that down, I did so with the '01, but then again its an '01.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Re: (RyanDe680)

Two related tips: First, you might want to borrow a scan tool and see if the car you look at has thrown any DTCs. Don't give any warning about this though; you don't want the seller to go in and clear those codes. Also, hop over to http://1.8t.org for dealer reviews.
I don't know how they are for sales, but I take my car to the highly-rated Autobarn in Mount Prospect -- which isn't too far from you. Libertyville VW is also great (but too far for me). Avoid Autobarn Evanston, West Suburban, and Orloff (in Chicago proper).
Hope you find what you want for a good price!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Re: (RyanDe680)

$23k sounds high, but not too bad. I really suggest finding prices on a new 04 GLX. You might find something for a similar price. This gives you HUGE bargaining power. Just show the seller an offer for, say, $25k for a new 04, and that you are trying to decide. I would be willing to save about $3k for buying a car with 12k miles on it. less than that, and I would just go for the new vehicle and not take the chance on a lemon.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Re: (maybeTDI)

i got an '04 GLS w/ leather + wood for ~22.5k. supposedly it was a good deal.
a lot of people seem to prefer the 1.8T to the V6, but i don't really know why. i guess it's more fun to drive or something. i don't recall if climatronic was an option for the GLS, but the temperature controls i have (knobs) work just fine. the whole car cools off or heats up in minutes. much better than my old camry.
also, the later '04s (with the turn signals in the mirrors) have the bigger oil filters to guard against sludging. if you don't know what kind of oil was put in the used models i'd be really careful.
good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.