VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!
I have a 1995 Towncar. Yesterday I was driving down the street and the charging light came on. All the accessories slowed, the car started running rough, so I pulled over and killed it. Upon trying to restart it, nothing. Alternator died (or so I thought). I had it towed home.

This afternoon, I pulled the alternator and brought in to the local Autozone and they threw it on their bench tester and it failed. I then purchased a refurbed alternator (tested before purchase) and installed it.

Hooked the car up to another car via jumper cables and fired it up. Runs fine, but the charging light is still on. Took off jumper cables and the accessories dim, it sputters a bit, and after a minute it died. Tried unplugging all connectors, checked all fuses. Tried again, same result.

Pulled battery and had it charged and tested. Battery tests fine. I then brought it home and threw it back in the car. Same result.

TL;DR: new alternator, good battery - car wont charge battery. anyone have any idea?

any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Autozone alt's. Worst ever, never had luck with one. Don't care if it tested good or not. They're junk.

·
Registered
13,441 Posts
what's the output on that replacement alternator you bought?

i know that in some of the ford/lincoln cars there was differences in some of the alternator outputs, which may result in some of the issues you're seeing.

i'd check out what the exact output is on the OE one you had, and see if maybe you've got the wrong replacement.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The replacement is a 130 amp. It is the same as the one that was in there. The dude actually almost gave me the wrong one, but I noticed that it wasn't the same and he went back and got the right one. The only other part they had listed for this car (other than the ones for "limousine use") were 95 amps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts