VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to go on a rampage at a stealership. I was supposed to pick up a new 1.8T Jetta on Saturday. They had a loan set up for me and the price had been worked out. I told several other dealers that had been looking for me I had found the car elsewhere. I called this morning to get the VIN for insurance purposes. A$$holes sold me a car they apparently cannot get and never had. All I can say is the BBB will be contacted if the car is not in my hands Saturday, as well as a lawyer. How the hell can they even try to get me a loan without a VIN# yet alone process the loan paperwork.
Any ideas how to approach this?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Re: Need help, getting bent over by dealer (1987&2001Jettas)

How was this negotiated? Was the car on the lot? Doesn't seem like it. Did they quote you a delevery date? Have you considered getting the loan from your bank? Then just find the car at any dealer and work out a bottom line price without getting screwed by hidden dealer loan poop.
-B-

·
Registered
107 Posts
Re: Need help, getting bent over by dealer (MarksManB)

Ive always found I get the best deal on a loan through the dealership, I just make sure of all the numbers before I sign. Know how much you are financeing and what the interest rate is and for how long.
2nd Do not sign for a car they do not have. Any dealership I have ever been at would get a car to their lot for a deposit of like 300 - 500 and once it is there then you can buy it. Its a fact that if they do not have it on their lot then its always a chance it will not be yours. I know numerous people that have had cars the dealer said they would sell to them get sold to other people by the dealership it was at currently.
In fact currently I have a dealer looking for a 2002 Jetta, first he said no problem I have 2 I can get, then calls me saying he cant get them the dealership wont let them go, then he changes his mind yet again saying he thinks he found one. I told him bother me when you actually have a car on your lot. I think I will be waiting for a 2003 anyway Im tired of dealing with salesman for a bit
Sorry they screwed you over bud.

·
Registered
165 Posts

Something similar happened to me. I negotiated a very good price on a 2001 Jetta WE (about $300 over invoice), arranged my own financing, but two hours before I was to pick it up, I got a call from the salesman that the car had been sold. I found out later that the dealer took a better offer. The offer had been made before mine, but it looked like the financing was not going to go through (the buyer had to get a co-signer and finally convinced his father to do it). I had filled out the paperwork, but sales manager's excuse was that I did not leave a deposit (I asked and was told that it was not necessary). I went to the dealership just as I had planned, but got my lawyer on the speakerphone with the salesman and his manager present. My lawyer talked about "bait and switch" and filing a complaint with VW and others. After my lawyer's tirade, the sales manager gave me the same deal--$300 over invoice--on a comparably equipped 2002 Jetta GLS. So, I didn't get the sport seats or the leather steering wheel, but I got the sport suspension, 30 more hp, and a better warranty. My advice--don't go away, don't have a tantrum, but go prepared to make a stink. And be prepared to be flexible and work with the dealership. You may be able to get a better deal as a result.

·
Registered
7,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Need help, getting bent over by dealer (zaniix)

Nothing was signed except a credit application. I spoke to the salesman on Tuesday and he said they had the car and just had to send someone to get it. At that point I told them to go ahead and set the financing up since they could get me the best rate. The salesman asked me when I could come get the car and I told him Saturday since it is a 100+ mile trip. I offered to get them a deposit via overnight mail and they said it wasn't necessary. The salesman has been off sick for a couple days so today I finally spoke to the guy who sets up their dealer trades. He said the trade with X dealership fell through. I called X dealership to see if I could strike a deal with them, and they never had the car I wanted on the lot. I'm so mad right now. The dealership had better have the car on Saturday. They have had well over a week to get it since the told me they could.

·
Registered
107 Posts

Use these kinds of issues to your advantage, maybe get them to make an even better deal on a 2003 or something. Time should never be much of consideration get what you want for what you want to pay or better.
Good Luck man

·
Registered
31,002 Posts
Re: Need help, getting bent over by dealer (zaniix)

What law has been broken?
I don't know what a lawyer will do for you, except tell you to go to another dealer as he hands you a consulation fee invoice, or maybe a bill for throwing his "attorney at law" weight around.
Let's just say for hypotheticals that saying "We'll get you the car..." makes some sort of contract.
The breaking/non-fulfillment of this contract can easily be argued in the vagaries of "good faith".
In good faith they told you they can get you what you want. Why wouldn't they be able to? Their just like any other dealer. And since people shop dealers so hard, it's bad practice to tell a tire-kicker "Hmm...maybe?".
So while attempting (or not, it's irrelevant to the argument) to source the vehicle, they pre-qualified you for financing. All done in good faith to a deal that just required one more missing part...the car...which they should be able to get w/out problems. In this case, it didn't work out, despite their good faith efforts.
Would they be allowed to "get a lawyer" if they jumped hoops and got you the car and then you couldn't be financed? Or you walked on a $100 pricing gap nobody would meet?
I know it's frustrating and it sucks, but what about the other dealers that had been looking for you? Why can't you do business w/them?

·
Registered
7,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Need help, getting bent over by dealer (Jman5000)

It is known as Bait and Switch and it is illegal. They struck a deal on a certain car, but they knew in advance they couldn't deliver and so they try to sell you a different car since they have you. Read DR VW's post above.
The lawyer fees are not an issue as they're family.
The car was "garunteed" to me before I agreed to buy it. I know these cars are hard to come by so I didn't want to agree to anything until they knew they could get it. And a verbal agreement is a binding contract. So far the sales manager and the guy who does the dealer trades have both said that the salesman should not of done what he did.
The major point is that this deal was finalized last month under certain incentives. So now if I have to get the car from somewhere else, it will cost me $1250 more, plus at least $500 (that's how much lower this deal was). Not to mention several dealers said they couldn't get the car. I only had two who said they could. So I'd say $1750 is reason enough to be pissed.
And I wasn't just preapproved for the loan. They have already applied for it (albeit under false pretenses on their part) and the only thing left for me to do is sign on the dotted line for the car.
Now, on to the reply I was going to post. Cooler heads have prevailed today and the dealership is doing everything possible to find this car and get it for me. I was told by the sales manager they will do everything they can to get me one and he assured me they are working very hard on it. I should know something by 1:00 today. I also am going to make the 100+ one way trip to the dealership tomorrow to talk with them face to face.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts