VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I was driving back to school in London from Mississauga in my 1991 Jetta 8v and just as I was exiting the 401 onto airport road, I felt a serious loss of power and I started to hear a fast clicking noise matching the speed of the revs. When I engaged the clutch, the revs dropped to almost zero and when I let the clutch out in a gear they rose back up...
When I was forced to stop for a light, the car just quit on me and I was unable to start it again.

I'm an automotive student at Fanshawe College here and both my roommate (who was in my car at the time of the breakdown) and I were thinking either I dropped a valve, blew a piston ring or both...
I don't know for sure and anyone who has an idea of what these symptoms might mean is welcom to give their opinion...
My real question, however, is where can I get a cheap 8v (digi2) engine or a complete 2L 16v (withe ECU and harnesses) in the london area... I don't have a way to get an engine from anywhere else because I'm now riding the bus for the time being

ANY help is greatly apprecaited!

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Re: Need help guys... I may need a new engine!!! (sexymk2)

If you are an automotive student, then just rebuild it. Pull the cyl head off and confirm what the damage is then proceed accordingly.
I had a friend that was very broke and he rebuilt his v-8 without even boring the cylinders, worked great for years. A rebuild kit is cheaper than you think if you don't bore 0.010" over. good luck.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Well first of all I'm in London, not Toronto. If I could drivew there to get an engine, I wouldn't need one!
I checked it today and it looks like I threw a rod and bent a couple of valves... I need the car to get to work so I have about a week to get myself a used engine... is there anyone out there from LONDON???

·
Registered
644 Posts

time to make it faster http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif JYT

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Need help guys... I may need a new engine!!! (alo 16v)

yeah... my number one priority is to get it back on the road again... if I find a low km digi2 8v I'll buy it. I was planning to build a junkyard turbo with it anyways in the summer
But I MAY go for a 16v if I find one for the right price.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts

What happened to your engine is that it slowly started to sieze up, which is why the rpm would drop when you let it idle in neutral. The ticking noise could have been caused by the valve lifters from a lack of oil pressure or it could have been the crankshaft hitting the broken connecting rod. If you don't change your oil every 5000 kms, this failed engine could have been caused by a build up of sludge which would block the oil galleries. If this wasn't the case, you could have had a worn out oil pump which wasn't supplying adequate oil pressure. Worn connecting rods and crankshaft main bearings also reduce oil pressure since there is a larger clearance. You should have been using an oil viscosity of 10W 30 or close to it. What happened first is that the connecting rod siezed up on the crankshaft, then the con rod cap broke causing the piston to travel too far up. The valves then contacted the piston and the bent valves were a result. This engine is a freewheeling engine - if the timing belt were to snap, there wouldn't be any valve to piston contact. 20W 50 oil with or without an oil additive would help restore oil pressure on severely worn engines. I wouldn't use any oil additive on a new engine, the oil pressure would be higher, but the oil won't travel as fast to all of the moving parts, especially the cylinder head and valve lifters.
I looked for an eight-valve-cheap-well-running engine about a year ago and couldn't find one. I ended up buying an eight valve with 270, 000 kms on it and it turned out to be a neglected engine. I still drove it for about half a year, but it was knocking pretty bad when I got rid of it. Weigh the options, you might be better off just getting a similar car with a working engine and transmission.
Now that I own an '89 Corolla, I realize why they are so popular. The 16 valve engine isn't bad for cars in that class and the engine runs like a choo-choo. (That is a good thing!) If you are going to be on a tight budget when you are in school, you are going to like the cost savings of a Corolla, but you aren't going to like the ride.
I had an automatic Mk2, and almost all of these cars have starter problems (igniton switch, overheating starter if missing the starter shield, and the starter is finicky) the heater core will leak, the upper strut mounts wear out quickly, the front mount is prone to breakage even with normal driving, the computers and fuel pumps wear out as well. The handling and interior is far superior to a Corolla.
I was sad to see my Jetta go, but I sure didn't miss the repairs. I will get a VW again, but not for a few years.
Let us all have a moment of silence for all VWs which have been sent to the great scrapyard in the sky.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
those multitude of repairs just give the car character. Driving a corolla is the automotive equivalent of being castrated
. Just joking, toyota's are definetly bullet-proof transportation, possibly more so than anything else(aside from honda).I do stand by my castration comment though...

good luck with the engine search http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by 8vRocket at 8:32 PM 2-17-2004

Modified by 8vRocket at 8:34 PM 2-17-2004

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (8vRocket)

Don't worry guys, I'm not giving up on the Jetta... it's just getting a new engine... I may heve one in by the end og the week

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Right Near fanshawe there are some shops that may be able to help you out. Have you gone down second street to theat vw shop there? Also talk to the guys at Autobahn over at wharncliffe and oxford, next to McDonalds. London has 3 huge wrecking yards as well, so talk to hem. I found a guy up in the north end of the city on hwy 22 had some vw stuff too.
Good luck!

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Re: Need help guys... I may need a new engine!!! (Winged Nut)

Quote, originally posted by Winged Nut »
I had an automatic Mk2, and almost all of these cars have starter problems (igniton switch, overheating starter if missing the starter shield, and the starter is finicky) the heater core will leak, the upper strut mounts wear out quickly, the front mount is prone to breakage even with normal driving, the computers and fuel pumps wear out as well. The handling and interior is far superior to a Corolla.

Couldn't have said it better. That's why the old Golf is going caged and manual http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Premium Member
18,143 Posts
Re: Need help guys... I may need a new engine!!! (vlad-e)

VR6 TIME

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: Need help guys... I may need a new engine!!! (The Red Baron)

Quote, originally posted by The Red Baron »
VR6 TIME

Wanna lend me $4000?

Naw I think I found a running 1992 8v with 105k on it... gonna go purchase the sucka today

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: Need help guys... I may need a new engine!!! (racinrocco)

yeah I bought a 105k 1992 8v yeasterday... now it's time for the transplant

1 - 20 of 25 Posts