VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After removing battery pole, removing HVAC intake grid, replacing vaccum line to ECU and putting things back in in opposite order my HVAC fan only works on speed 4. What could this possibly be? I never had any problems with it until now!

· Registered
20,749 Posts
Re: Need help, HVAC fan only works on speed 4 (iflekstad)

the fan's resistor pack's fuse is blown. But you have to replace the resistor pack unless you can find a solid state fuse or want to solder in a regular fuse (I'm at this crossn road also) But what you need to be aware of before just replacing the restitor pack is that the reason it blew was because the fan motor started drawing too much current. I replaced my resistor pack through the glove box opening in the dash and then less than 3,000 miles later it blew again around the time the 2nd pack blew I began hearing the fan's bearings and knew it was the bad fan bearings that caused the motor to draw more current and then this caused the resistor pack's fuse to blow.
I currently have my dash out and I'm replacing the foam on the doors inside the heater core area since it did not get replaced 30K miles ago when the recall was done
and I'm also R&R the fan and resistor pack. Plus I'm making all my after market wiring under the dash run in 1 wirning harness as opposed to lots of little ones

· Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Need help, HVAC fan only works on speed 4 (G60ING)

Thanks for your input. You wouldn't happen to have a picture or something of the way you enter through the glovebox? And, is this resistorpack only available at dealer?

Modified by iflekstad at 2:19 PM 7-11-2003

· Registered
7,978 Posts
Re: Need help, HVAC fan only works on speed 4 (G60ING)

Just pull the glove box out... 4 screws IIRC.
This is what it looks like. It's the thing the white connector is plugged in to.

Resistor packs are about $20.

· Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Need help, HVAC fan only works on speed 4 (vw mofo)

Thanks for info guys, but resistor packs are $100 at the dealer where I live. I'll try replacing the fuse at first, then go from there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.