VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 Golf TSI and sometimes when I start my car it will dumb oil on the ground but stop when I start actually driving. I put a new oil pan on about a year ago but I don’t think it’s that because I’m seeing oil on top of my engine. It looks like it might be coming from my head gasket but I’m not 100% sure. Any help/advice?
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system Automotive exterior Gas

· Registered
2016 Golf R, 2001 Cabrio VR6
1,245 Posts
I have a 2016 Golf TSI and sometimes when I start my car it will dumb oil on the ground but stop when I start actually driving. I put a new oil pan on about a year ago but I don’t think it’s that because I’m seeing oil on top of my engine. It looks like it might be coming from my head gasket but I’m not 100% sure. Any help/advice? View attachment 239987
That is not your head gasket, the head gasket is much lower down.

It looks like your intake manifold gasket may be leaking oil. When you drive, there is vacuum in this manifold so any oil that might leak out is all burned in the engine or deposited on the backs of the valves.

The next question is why is there so much oil in your intake manifold, if that is indeed where the leak is coming from (hard to tell from one picture)? Perhaps you have a PCV valve failure.

I suggest you inspect the area around the intake manifold very thoroughly to confirm if that is indeed the source of the leak. Use a flashlight and mirror. If you decide to replace this gasket, you should also do a carbon cleaning.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

It looks like your intake manifold gasket may be leaking oil. When you drive, there is vacuum in this manifold so any oil that might leak out is all burned in the engine or deposited on the backs of the valves.

The next question is why is there so much oil in your intake manifold, if that is indeed where the leak is coming from (hard to tell from one picture)? Perhaps you have a PCV valve failure.

I suggest you inspect the area around the intake manifold very thoroughly to confirm if that is indeed the source of the leak. Use a flashlight and mirror. If you decide to replace this gasket, you should also do a carbon cleaning.

Is it along the entire manifold or just in that corner?
Mainly in that corner but I think it might be oil blowing up from the bottom from me driving. I’m replacing the oil pan gasket rn just to make sure

1 - 8 of 8 Posts