VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Need help locating coolant leak, cooling system gurus, get in here!

971 views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  FireStorm005 
#1 ·
On my way to work this morning, my coolant light went off. I figured it was just a hiccup so I turned the car off and turned it back on again and light didn't come back on. I made it to work with no irregularities in my temperature. I had down time so after about 45 minutes of arriving I took a walk around the car and saw a stream of liquid that had formed under it. After Popping the hood and checking it out, I observed it was coming off the left part behind the oil pan and dripping right off it. There was nothing coming out from the resevoir or anything within its vicinity as far as I could tell. It seems as if it it coming off the lower part of the engine bay. Here is a pic I took if it helps:

See less See more
#2 ·
I just had the same problem except I was losing a lot of coolant from the resivoir. I thought it was the lower radiator hose cause it was leaking from around the same spot as you described yours. Then I got it on a lift and found out it was the crack pipe. Check out your radiator hoses, if not get underneath and trace it. :thumbup:

#3 ·
I'm hoping to be able to trace it tonight as I get off work late. I just want to serve myself sometime if I can get a more specific idea of where to look, especially since I won't have that much light to work with. The resevoir area is clear as far as I can tell. It definitely seems like its coming from the lower portion of the engine. Thanks for your input!

#7 · (Edited)
^^this^^
my coolant leak was from the hose flange and the lower coolant hose coming off of it. looks like this for the manual http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-jetta_IV--1.8T/Search/Coolant_Flange/ES279315/

edit: I meant to say this is probable, not definite.
and just a note, idk about your dealership, but the dealer I bought my car from is terrible and they aren't allowed to touch my car. for warranty **** I just get the parts from them and do it myself or have the local vw/audi guy, whom I trust, do it. so be wary of the dealerships, or as many call them, stealerships.

#16 ·
me?

Oooooh, last thing I want to hear!!!
Damn this car is being bipolar. It's not leaking at the moment. I was able to make it home last night without it leaking and to work today without any problems.
When was the timing belt/waterpump/etc replaced, if ever? and yeah, my car did the same. It is still going to be a problem, I can almost guarantee it. Just make sure you check it frequently. Once the engine is off and you know you won't be touching searing hot parts, don't be afraid to poke around and see if you can trace the leak with your finger. You can wiper your hoses dry and then see where the leak shows up first, because like mentioned before, leaks tend to go odd places before they end up on the ground.

#17 ·
very true! thought I was getting lucky thinking it was the lower radiator hose but then got it on a lift and found out the whole motor was soaked with coolant! :mad: figure out the problem yet?

#18 ·
try to find some b 52 its the best industrial cleaner ive ever used itll get all the grease and coolant off and let it dry after u wash it off might be easier to spot sometimes the grease hides cracks and what not. also check anything that might have an o ring ie plastic parts with coolant going through them and dont put the red coolant in it. its bad coolant i heard it eats the waterpump

#19 ·
I'm actually very well-aware of that fact that it may go down some areas before it drips. I've changed the coolant temp sensor as well as the thermostat and the seals in them were fine. It's totally fine at the moment but I can't trust it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.