VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need major help. I was carring an arm load of stuff to my car tonight from my office. It's 20 degrees and the wind is howling, so I'm in a hurry. I fumble for the trunk release button on the remote, life the trunk with my foot, and set all of my crap in there and shut the lid. At that point I realize that I was holding my keys along with all of the stuff and that I've left them in the trunk.

So I call VWOA roadside assistance because my car is still 2,000 miles in waranty. They send joe blow tow truck guy to try to open my doors. First he tries using a slim jim and another grabber between the window and the door sill. Volkswagen was too smart for that one. He had no luck. Next he shoves plastic wedges between the top of the door frame and the roof and tries to press the unlock button on the driver's side door. It doesn't work. I figure he's not pressing it right, so I suggest he tries grabbing the trunk release button further down, since it's a button you pull up on. I watch him do it and see the button go up, but the trunk doesn't open. At that point I realize that while the alarm is armed and the red light is flashing on the driver's side door, the unlock buttons and trunk release button do not function. :-( He could have pressed on them all day if he wanted too. The guy gave up and took off. I call VWOA and they say that if he can't open it, they'll tow my car a maximum of 30 miles to a dealer. The closest VW dealer to me is 70 miles away. What can I say, I live in BFE. I hung up and caught a ride home with a friend before I caught the flu standing out in the cold.
So here's where my questions come in.
If i call a locksmith tomorrow, will they be able to open my door? Can a locksmith pick a lock that uses the funky keys that are cars have?
If a locksmith can't open it, what then? Tow it? Or call my VW dealer's parts desk and try to order a key?
Oh, and in case you're wondering, I don't have a spare. I bought the car with 9,000 miles on it and it only came with one. I didn't feel like paying $125 to have a second key.
Has anyone else had an experience like this? I've never owned a car that was so secured. On one hand, I'm glad that it's not easy to break in to, but on the other, I wish there was a solution.
The "gotcha" of VW's security is that unlocking the trunk does not deactivate the alarm system. Had I unlocked the doors and then locked the keys inside the car, the tow truck guy would have been able to unlock it by pressing down on the unlock button, because the alarm would have been deactivated.
I'm kind of pissed that VW roadside assistance sent this guy out to do something that's not possible. Of course, I realize that the operators just answer calls and dispatch people. They don't understand the security features of the car.
Any advice would be appreciated. I'm totally bummed. Just to make things worse, my car is parked in a 2-hour space and my wallet is under the seat so I have no cash and no credit cards. Now I know what an abandoned vehicle is.
The only bright spot to my story is that my trunk is not locked down from the inside. If I can get into the car, I can either fold down the back seat or use the trunk release button to get to my keys and remote.
Thanks,
Ben

[Modified by OK-VW, 10:50 PM 11-28-2001]

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Re: Need Help! locked out of car (OK-VW)

break the back window and go at it that way
That sucks about not having 2 keys, thought all VW's new/used came with 2 keys and a Valet Key. Dont you have the valet key either?
-Tim

·
Registered
237 Posts

Yeah, it sounds like your only option is to break the window. If you do it, put masking tape or duct tape on the window first, then break it. This will minimize the amount of glass that will get into your interior. Good luck.
Jason

·
Registered
55 Posts
Re: Need Help! locked out of car (IwannaJettaVR6)

If you call a locksmiths you'll have to find a really good one. Best chance is for you to try and unlock it yourself. It is possible, i've had to unlock alot of customer cars at my business. The easiest way i've found is getting something a little stiffer than a close hanger, then wedging it in the crack of the door. The guy who tried to help you out before obviously didn't give a f- but you'll have to use your desparation as some motivivation. Remember that the unlock button in concave, so it'll be harder to press down, best trick is to rig the wire so it can handle the button and also have a buddy help keep the door cracked so you can manipulate the wire better.
If that don't work, then call a locksmith, but i'll tell you now, it won't be cheap.

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
Re: Need Help! locked out of car (laurent)

quote:[HR][/HR]I guess my first question is where is your second set of keys? When I got my car I got two remotes with key and one valet key....
Cheers.[HR][/HR]​
read above.. he bought it used.. but wanted to spend more on getting the car unlocked than a duplicate remote..

·
Registered
764 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]I guess my first question is where is your second set of keys? When I got my car I got two remotes with key and one valet key....
Cheers.[HR][/HR]​
he said he got the car used and it only came with one key...

Anyway I was locked out of my dub before. However that time my alarm did NOT arm, so the AAA guy could just unlock the car by wedging between the car and the window and pressing the unlock button with a wire.
In your case, I would imagine it'd be a lot harder, but not impossible. DO NOT BREAK YOUR WINDOWS! That's gotta be the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. It's like cutting off your nose to spite your face (or whatever it is). What I'd suggest is you PAY to have the car towed the extra 40 miles to the dealer.
Then there are two options:
1. Get them to CUT the alarm. If the alarm circuit is cut, then you should be able to do the "wedge and unlock" trick that worked on my car, since it's the alarm circuit that prevents you from unlocking the car from inside it, once the alarm circuit is armed.
2. Also, dealers are able to determine the radio code that works to unlock your car based on the VIN number on your windshield. With that code, they can probably program a spare remote control fob (or borrow another Vdubber's remote control key and program it for your car). Then unlock the car using the newly programmed key and retrieve your set from the trunk.
Break the windows.. ya...

·
Registered
20,332 Posts

Well, he clearly stated that he only got one key when he bought the car used. But I think I would have been slightly weary about buying a car that only came with one key. But nevermind, what's done is done.
If you have a keytag at home, you can have the dealer cut you a new key and then just go unlock your car. But since you don't have a full set of keys, I'm guessing you don't have the keytag either. I don't know if VWoA can like look up the code or something like that. It seems to me you'd have to go through quite a bit to prove your identity as true owner of the car though. They can't just give out keycodes to any yahoo you calls and asks for it.
I really don't know what towing it to the dealer is going to do. Unless there's some secret method of picking a VW, they're going to accomplish the same as a locksmith if not less.
Personally, I think I would call a locksmith and take chances with that before I would break a window. I think VW Roadside is supposed to pay up to a certain amount for lockout service if you need a locksmith. I might be thinking of AAA though. If you belong to that, call them, see what they say.
By the way, if you do end up breaking a window, be prepared to run. Even if you break the window and then press the unlock button, I don't think it disarms the alarm. So the alarm will go off when you open a door or pop the trunk. Then you'll need to run to the trunk and grab your keys to stop the honking and flashing as everyone watches you go through this lovely ordeal.
And a tip for the future: pay the money and get a second key made. You never know when you might need it.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Re: Need Help! locked out of car (ChrisMD)

Why is breakin the window ridiculous...

If i was in that situation, I would first find a junkyard place that has an intact factory (with the slight tint) VW window since they're like 140 used w/ install.
Break my window w/ a bat that I would buy from sports authority
Thrash my window and lay the daily newspaper on my seat so I don't get bit in the (_)_). (That taping the window idea is good!)
Then go get a new window at the shop. The baseball bat will be saved for extreme cases of road rage.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts

There has got to be a better way than breaking the window.......I'd call around to a few locksmiths and see if they have any experience with newer vw's.....well maybe that's not realistic since the nearest dealership is 70 miles...um..think think think....the key tag was a pretty good idea...ya know if ya don't have that...it's possible with the vin the could cut ya a new one (maybe)...that way you can hitch a ride to the delaership..have those rip-off artists carve ya a knew key..then you would have 2 for next time. Who did you buy this car from that only gave you one key??? maybe if they are close they have found the others (if they were lost).....I dunno what the hell could have happened to the other 2 keys??

·
James Steed
9,231 Posts
Re: Need Help! locked out of car (2 F1 Fans)

Go to the dealer and get a valet key it will open the door.
Or getting your car towed to the dealership has to be cheaper than $125 for a spare key that you should have gotten with the used car they could get it unlocked.
Then after they unlock it ask them to give you the spare key and valet key they should have given you.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Re: Need Help! locked out of car (EPilot)

You have to open the door using the door handle on the inside. If the slim jim guy was able to get in and push all the buttons, he should be able to open it with the door handle. The alarm will go off, but just fold down the back seats and shut it off when you grab your key.
Heh heh... i know this from experience. Twice in one night too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

I thought I'd follow up so you guys know what to do if this happens to you!
Yeah, in hindsight, paying $150 bones for a spare flip, or $50 for a valet would have been cheaper.
I called my dealer. He told me that the only way to gain entry (sans breaking windows) will be to call in my Vin # to the parts dept. and have a key rushed to me. That will take 2-3 days. There's no magic wire you can cut to disarm the alarm. If there was, that wouldn't make it much of an alarm, would it?
The fault of having 1 key is mine. I don't blame the dealer. I could have said something when I bought the car and probably had them get me a spare. The car I bought had just come in and I didn't give them a lot of time to prep it before I bought it. It was a GLX with 9k for $20,000, which seemed like a good deal last december.
The dealer is Brad Noe VW/Audi in Tulsa. I don't have any opinions of them either way. I bought my car and drove it off and that's the last I've seen of them. I don't take it there for service because it's too far away.
So unless I find a locksmith this morning who's confident he/she can open it without damage, I'm going to order a new key.
Thanks for the suggestions!
Ben

·
Registered
6,700 Posts
Re: Need Help! locked out of car (TDI Vroom)

quote:[HR][/HR]If the slim jim guy was able to get in and push all the buttons,
he should be able to open it with the door handle.[HR][/HR]​
Bingo.
quote:[HR][/HR]i know this from experience. Twice in one night too.[HR][/HR]​
Sounds like a Jager night...

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
dude never buy a car with only one key when you should get three...you are just asking to get that car stolen. At the very least pay the cash to go to the dealership and get new locks and new keys.
The dealership can cut a new key for you no problem...just call the dealer.
Usually you have roadside assistance on your car insurance...if you have AAA you can also get towed to the dealer....
P.S. your car insurance comprehensive deductable is probably low...bust in the window and say it was broken into or vadalized or something....
keep in mind it is very hard to lock your keys in the car and arm the alarm...so really withour being mean I have to say you kind of have to suck it up and pay whatever it takes to get it fixed.....

[Modified by QuickStick, 9:38 AM 11-29-2001]

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.