VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I bought a 1992 Wolfsburg cabriolet, for $900, it came with problems of course, both of the front wheels feel like something is grinding, the owner said the cv joints need to be replaced. I took the car to the shop to see what they said and they told me its "the bearings", a 4 hour labor, and $45 dollars each bearing, is it the same if I change the cv joint? And save money+time? Is it a hard diy? Also, I'm getting charged 650 for a new top

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
CV joints click and it will get louder as you turn, grinding is bearings. changing the bearings requires pulling the spindles off and pressing the bearings out and then pressing it back in, but if you're planning on changing the axles this would be the time.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Hello, I bought a 1992 Wolfsburg cabriolet, for $900, it came with problems of course, both of the front wheels feel like something is grinding, the owner said the cv joints need to be replaced. I took the car to the shop to see what they said and they told me its "the bearings", a 4 hour labor, and $45 dollars each bearing, is it the same if I change the cv joint? And save money+time? Is it a hard diy? Also, I'm getting charged 650 for a new top
Grinding does sound like bearings. Important to get fixed before the seize. Not the same as the CV. As a DIY it is do-able, but will depend on your mechanical inclination/skillset as well as tools on hand. Not something I would recommend doing yourself if you don't have the proper tools.

$650 for a new top. What all does that entail? Is this charge for the outer skin and shop supplies and labor? Is this for a vinyl or a canvas top? Honestly, if you're not down to embark on changing the top yourself then this does not sound all in all that bad, but I'm not sure what the going rates are in your area. I would ask for references from this shop who is planning on doing your top as some do great work, others are hack jobs. I would suspect there is a good chance your top pad - horse hair pad - either needs repair/refreshing or replacing.. Does the shop anticipate this? The outer appearance (as well as it's insulating properties are only as good as the shape your pad is in and the finishing work underneath the outer skin.

let's see some pics!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok that was my question, pulling the bearing out and then to put them back in sounds like a lot of work, they charge me 100 an hour, and 50 for each bearing, a "4 hour labor". Maybe there's a way I can replace the part that holds the bearing, which is the axel you said, right?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Grinding does sound like bearings. Important to get fixed before the seize. Not the same as the CV. As a DIY it is do-able, but will depend on your mechanical inclination/skillset as well as tools on hand. Not something I would recommend doing yourself if you don't have the proper tools.

$650 for a new top. What all does that entail? Is this charge for the outer skin and shop supplies and labor? Is this for a vinyl or a canvas top? Honestly, if you're not down to embark on changing the top yourself then this does not sound all in all that bad, but I'm not sure what the going rates are in your area. I would ask for references from this shop who is planning on doing your top as some do great work, others are hack jobs. I would suspect there is a good chance your top pad - horse hair pad - either needs repair/refreshing or replacing.. Does the shop anticipate this? The outer appearance (as well as it's insulating properties are only as good as the shape your pad is in and the finishing work underneath the outer skin.

let's see some pics!
the material of the roof was vinyl, and yes 8 hours of labor included. how hard is it to diy? the roof costs 177 dollars on ebay with a video

heres a picture, next to my e34 :)

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Looks realitively straight! So is the roof cracked? Leaking? Side cables broken?

i replaced the roof myself after following some tips here and on cabby-info as well as watching an old video on YouTube (in German)

replacing the top does require a certain amount of skill and a few tools and supplies but if you are not afraid to do your research and get your hands dirty you can prob figure it out and save yourself a few hundred.

the material of the roof was vinyl, and yes 8 hours of labor included. how hard is it to diy? the roof costs 177 dollars on ebay with a video

heres a picture, next to my e34 :)

·
Registered
21,961 Posts
Looks realitively straight! So is the roof cracked? Leaking? Side cables broken?

i replaced the roof myself after following some tips here and on cabby-info as well as watching an old video on YouTube (in German)

replacing the top does require a certain amount of skill and a few tools and supplies but if you are not afraid to do your research and get your hands dirty you can prob figure it out and save yourself a few hundred.
Tops are easy.
Less Painful than a passenger side motor mount, and a whole lot easier than a steering rack change.
Page 3 of the FAQ's post 75.

·
Registered
21,961 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm paying $850 for a new vinyl top and padding, installed. So if you're only paying $650, that's a good deal. As far as the other with you need done, I suggest finding a good VW or Euro mechanic that you can trust. You'll be relying on him a lot lol. I just got my Bentley manual in the mail. I suggest you invest in one for the diy jobs. Well worth the money!

·
Registered
'81 Trek 614, '95 Ranger
12,243 Posts
I think I might do the roof myself, I'm up for the challenge.

So can anyone please tell me if this is the part I need to buy them fix the grinding,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VOLKSWAGEN-...n|Model:Cabriolet&hash=item4d071fe7ce&vxp=mtr

Or can someone put me in the right direction
Not likely that those will fix your grinding.

This is a Cabby front wheel bearing.........

Also plan on a hub for each side........

Here's GAP's page listing both........
http://www.germanautoparts.com/Volkswagen/Cabriolet/Drivetrain/242/1

Replacement requires a press.
Pressing can be done by any automotive machine shop, you'll have to be the one to remove the steering knuckle/bearing housing from the car and take it to the machine shop.
Alternately, there are on-car press tool sets made specifically for the job. Generally, these tool sets are too pricey to justify purchase for one time use, maybe there's tool rental available local to you.
---
From the tone of your posts I'm not getting any hints that you have mechanic's skills, the job is involved and your life, lives of others depend on good results. You be the judge if you should shop the job out or DIY it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.