VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,604 Posts
Re: need help, oil can light is on. i cant run my CAR... (MountainTravler)

Do the sensible things, don't panic. -Check the oil level, then if you have oil, the next thing is the oil pump. -That's not likely to suddenly fail, so make sure that the engine is good & dry (no mis-reads from paths to ground caused by water orividing a current path to the engine block)
You just ronsed the engine, right?-you didn't cover it in "super-aggresso-oil-solvent-and-sensor murdering-compund" and then rinse it off, right?

·
Registered
6,604 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]so is it ok to drive. if thats it[HR][/HR]​
Well...I've learned not to ingore oil pressure warnings unless youre absolutely certain that you really do have oil pressure. (I lost an engine with only 600 miles on it, so trust me... you want to be certain!!!)

[Modified by VWAddict, 12:03 AM 8-8-2002]

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: need help, oil can light is on. i cant run my CAR... (VWAddict)

im running 10 w 30 on my vr right now. by accident. just got 4 weeks ago. anyways, its really hot here in Texas but i dont that this screw up has any relation. because i drove the car 90 miles yesterday in the heat no prob... ive only gone 2500 on the oil anyways.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

if i was running fine yesterday, then rinsed it off today( which is when all of this happend ) what is the worst thing that it could be. would my pump "short" out are the mechanical features going to get me through this electrical problem!!??

·
Registered
8,500 Posts

Dynamic oil pressure warning system:
The high pressure switch is normall open (no circuit to ground). When the engine is running above 2.000 rpm, oil pressure closes the switch and completes the circuit to ground. If oil pressure is insufficient to close the pressure switch, or the switch is stuck open, the indicator will flash and the buzzer will sound at engine speeds above 2,000 rpm. The pressure switch opens and closes at specific pressures.
To quick-check the pressure switch, disconnect the yellow wire from the switch and raise the engine speed to between 2000 to 2500 rpm. The indicator should flash and the buzzer should sound. If the wire is conneted to ground, the warning should stop. Remove the wire from ground and reconnect to the switch. If the indicator does not go out, replace the switch.

[Modified by germanrox, 9:48 PM 8-7-2002]

·
Registered
8,500 Posts
Re: need help, oil can light is on. i cant run my CAR... (germanrox)

Low oil pressure warning system:
With the ignition off, the low pressure switch is closed (complete circuit to ground). When the ignition is turned on, the indicator flashes (no oil pressure). When the engine is started and oil pressure rises, the switch opens and the indicator goes out. With insufficient oil pressure or a stuck switch, the indicator will continue to flash. The switch opens and closes at specific pressures.
To quick-check the low pressure switch, simulate a closed switch by removing the blue/black wire and grounding it. With the ignition on, the indicator should flash. If not, the problem is in the circuit or the indicator. If the indicator flashes only when tested in this way, replace the switch.
If the indicator flashes with the engine running, and the oil pressure tests ok, remove the blue/black wire from the switch with the engine running. The indicator should go out. If not, the circuit is shorted to ground between the wire and indicator. If the indicator does go out, the switch is stuck closed and should be replaced http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif *whew*!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.