VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello experts,

I need to replace both front and rear rotos and brake pads and like to hear your suggestions.

I am looking for something with less dust so that I don't have to clean often but with good stopping. I read through some of the old threads and what I gathered is that PBR Metal Master are good and don't have too much dust. When I was calling around for these pads, I was told these generate lots of dust ans also eat through rotors fast. Then I was suggested to go with EBC red stuff which are ceramic.

I heard that ceramic pads need to heat up to work properly and bad in rain. Is this true? I use the car for normal street/highway driving.

So I am now trying to decide which one to go with and any suggestions? Also what are a good set of rotos(front and rear).

Thanks.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I just put on the ECS coated rotors and Akebono ceramic pads. Turns out they were the wrong pads so ECS sent me the Hawk ceramics. After 4 days they are starting to bed in and I love them. Minimal initial bite so that means I can touch them and not immediately go into emergency stop like the OEM pads and rotors did. These have a muck more linear feel so I can apply the amount of braking required and not an all or nothing. As hard as I press I get more stopping power. And with my tires I have yet to break grip.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
There are so many combos of rotors/pads it is hard to know what you will like best until you actually have installed on your Passat.

My current set up is really great for me, Brembo UV Coated rotors and Advanced Auto Parts Carquest Wearever Gold Semi-Metallic Brake Pads, they do create a reasonable amount of dust but I am ok with it and really like the way they perform in all conditions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just ordered Centric Premium with high carbon and EBC red stuff with total cost of $400 with shipping. I will report back after I install them. Thanks for both replies.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts