VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

For something like this pictured, the side sub box, How would I fill the gaps (ie. the black part around the outer box, b\t the trunk and the box)?
I have mine roughly cut out to the shape of the side of my trunk, but there's still gonna be some small gaps. So I'm just lookin for some ideas on how to fill those gaps??
How did the one in the picture fill the gaps? (ie. how to measure & make the black part that surrounds the silver part)
*Hopefully you undertsand what I'm trying to say*

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Re: Need help on fabricating custom sub enclosure... (CrisqoT.O.)

fiberglass http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Need help on fabricating custom sub enclosure... (2.ohh)

So, basically I just line up my MDF piece that's roughly cut out to the sidewalls of the trunk and start fiberglassing??
How should I do it, if I want it to be able to be removable later on...etc??

·
Registered
1,336 Posts

Quote, originally posted by CrisqoT.O. »
So, basically I just line up my MDF piece that's roughly cut out to the sidewalls of the trunk and start fiberglassing??
How should I do it, if I want it to be able to be removable later on...etc??

First, SEARCH!

There are countless pages out there that will show you step by step procedures on this type of enclosure.
Basically, you take out the factory trim to get at the well you want the enclosure to be in. Mask over the well area with tape. Lay in the first layer of glass to form the rear shell on top of the tape. Build up the side walls to meet the front baffle (there are 100's of techniques for this). Mount the front baffle to the rear shell. Reinforce the inside of the rear shell with more layers of glass. Paint / vinyl / carpet shell & enclosure to your own taste.
Personally, if I never fiberglass again it will be too soon. I'd rather pay someone who knows how to do it than do it again. That's just me. It can be fun too. Work outside, wear a breather and eye protection. Shake the resin & catalyst before you mix them. More catalyst is better than not enough.....usually. Sometimes it will nearly burst into flames if you go too far that way.

speaker

·
Registered
61 Posts

If I needed to make the black trim panel after the rest of the job was completed, I would tape over the silver area so as not to ruin the finish. Pull back the trunk weather stripping and tape it off( or buy a replacement and use the original, throwing it away when finished glassing). Take some mold fabric, or real stretchy fleece, and pull it over the trunk lid. Then press the weather stripping back into place. That will give you a perfect mold around the top. Now it gets tricky as you have to secure the fabric around the box. This will depend on how the box is built. You could mock up a lip to go around the outside of the box which could be screwed in from behind, pinching the fabric down between the two pieces, then fold the fabric up to the trunk lid and secure eith the weather stripping. Once pulled tight, fiberglass resin the piece. Let dry and remove. Test fit. Add a layer of fiberglass mat to the back side for a little strength. You don't want to make it too hard as you may need a little give in the panel when removing/installing it. Then, sand down the front and wrap it. Done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts