VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whoever can help me out with this question I would like to thank them in advance. I own a 20th anv and want to remove the spare tire.I know the R32 does not have a spare and has a piece of foam in it's place. Is it possible, that one of you R32 owners can get me the depth of your wheel well? So i can see if it works in my 20th.
thanks

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Re: NEED HELP on SPARE WHEEL WELL DEPTH (HOG4DNR)

it is 5 1/2 inches high, and 27 inches in diameter, and there is also a center hump in the middle shaping the area out like a full spare tire.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts

no problem. you are welcome

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Re: NEED HELP on SPARE WHEEL WELL DEPTH (veedubman91)

I know the R32 spare tire issue was beaten to death on numerous occasions.
At risk if reopening the issue, what is the size of the AE's spare tire? I've not managed to find that info in the other spare tire threads.
The one that fits in the R's wheel well is 125/70/18. I'm assuming the AE's is a different (wider) size...

·
Registered
4,678 Posts

The 20th AE GTI's spare tire is full-size (205mm wide, I believe), which makes it too wide to fit flush into the R32's spare tire wheel well.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: NEED HELP on SPARE WHEEL WELL DEPTH (Kenji)

I can confirm with the previous post. The tire size is 205/55 x 16. The depth of the wheel well is approx 9 inches.I read in this forum that a TT spare would fit but would require 2 tire changes if a flat was on a front tire.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts