VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
James Steed
12,116 Posts
Take care to dealership since it is under warranty. If there is a defect, it will be covered under warranty. It will be worth the diagnostic fee to find out.
At 43,000 miles a defect would have shown up long ago. The clutch went bad and it’s not a warranty thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
371 Posts
Someone I knew got the southbend stage 2 clutch and flywheel plus labor done by NGP for right around 2k. I believe they charge $600-$700 for labor.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Idk if you have noticed, but the mk7 clutches are terrible. People have had them go out in the first 10k miles from spirited driving.
Wow that's lunacy... And no recall or TSB?

·
Registered
255 Posts
I've been driving manual's for over 20 years now (mostly VW's, 1 Subaru, 1 Honda), and the clutch in my 2017 Golf R started slipping around 50k miles. No launches, I've never had to replace a clutch before despite driving all my cars to 70-100k+, 100% stock in the case of the R. I was commuting in stop and go traffic into a major city however, which I think contributed to the short life (the GTI and R share the same clutch which doesn't seem to be up to the task).

When I looked around for quotes to replace it with an aftermarket clutch (no sense buying the weak VW clutch again) I was quoted a little less than 2.5k at a local performance shop for an aftermarket clutch, upgraded rear main seal while they're in there, and fluids. So I think OP's quote is normal. Looking at DIY videos on youtube, there's quite a bit of labor involved to get at the clutch on a MK7.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Warranty time is 6.1 hours. This is a cash deal so expect a 7-10 hour quote. Times shops labor rate. + cost of clutch and shop materials = cost to replace. OP where did you wind up $ wise on this?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Bummer that you are having clutch issues - it seems early imo. There are probably plenty who have many more miles on their clutches and are driving hard and/or modded so it does not seem to be a universal problem with MK7s. Something seems off with having to change it so early. I will upgrade my clutch if/when I have to replace it just for the added peace of mind.

I wonder if any of the standard clutch mods make a difference in longevity - removing the return spring or the restrictor in the bleeder block? I feel like both improved clutch feel but I'm not sure how they impact clutch life.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Thanks for all of the replies. I felt very comfortable with the service and report I got from the mechanic who looked at the car and am replacing the clutch kit with one from Sachs. Cost is a bit over $1K less than the dealer quote to replace with with "genuine VW parts." I'm also having them do brake and other work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Warranty time is 6.1 hours. This is a cash deal so expect a 7-10 hour quote. Times shops labor rate. + cost of clutch and shop materials = cost to replace. OP where did you wind up $ wise on this?
See previous post.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Hopefully you aren't putting the stock clutch back in

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
The OE clutch is from Sachs as well. I replaced my clutch with a Sachs SRE that is much stronger...lasting through 40,000 miles and still going strong.
That's what threw me off too

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
The OE clutch is from Sachs as well. I replaced my clutch with a Sachs SRE that is much stronger...lasting through 40,000 miles and still going strong.
I (obviously) didn't know that. The newly installed clutch is I'm told one of their premium products. Hopefully not the same.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Lol

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I (obviously) didn't know that. The newly installed clutch is I'm told one of their premium products. Hopefully not the same.
Well, Sachs in general is considered premium lol...

21 - 40 of 40 Posts