VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to paint my calipers red when the weather gets better here in Michigan. I have searched and searched this subject and I would just like to know the best way to paint my calipers. I have been on audiworld searching this topic as well. I know that the $40 folia tec caliper kit is probably the best, but I dont think it is worth it. I have heard of just using high-temp engine paint from pepboys and is it easier just to leave the calipers on to paint them? Thanks vortexers.

[Modified by GTI2001, 2:48 AM 2-12-2002]

·
Registered
328 Posts
Re: Need help! Painting calipers..... (GTI2001)

I went ahead with the folia-tec kit and I found it was the best way to go. I left the calipers on the car when I painted them. I used some masking tape to cover up the brake pad and just went ahead and painted. You'll be able to reach all corners without any problems. At the same time any parts you won't be able to reach, you won't see when you put your mags back on. At the same time the folia-tec paint is prime quality and won't remove or chip off. Trust me, I know, cause up here in Montreal our winters are about 2x worst than yours. Now it's my third winter and still no chips or loss of shine. If you want to see how they look, e-mail me at harenjaga[email protected] for a pic or go to jwelty.com and look for my mk4 jetta.
The whole procedure takes about 3 hours, but because you have to wait 2 hours for the second coat to dry before putting back on you mags. You then have to wait another 24hours for the paint to fully dry before driving your car.
got questions, feel free.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Re: Need help! Painting calipers..... (harenjagan)

I would recommend spending the extra $$ for the folia-tec or G2 paint as opposed to regular hi-temp paint. I used the G2 system and am very satisfied. The difference is a longer lasting, glossier and much better looking coat. HarenJagan's directions are good. Try do them on a hot day and I also recommend doing at least 3 light coats. Be careful on putting the wheels back on and that they don't touch your calipers.

·
Banned
19,340 Posts
Re: Need help! Painting calipers..... (GTI2001)

All I did was take my wheel off, clean off the brake calipers...and painted on header paint (1200 degree paint) with a brush. I sprayed the paint into a tin car, and painted 3 good coats onto the calipers. They dried...and they are pitch black. Click on my SIG for the 2002 GTI VR6, and you can see pictures of them...took me about 2 hours...but its worth it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.