VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I've been looking at the Golf and GTI lately, and I am now seriously in the midst of buying one. As I have never purchased a car before, I would like some advice on how to go about the process.
I'm set on buying a Black GTI, 5-spd manual with 1.8T engine. However I am undecided on whether I should get a 2001 or 2002 model. Aside from the 30hp difference, what other differences are there?
Additionally, it seems like the 2001 are slowly disappearing from lots as very few are remaining. Same can be said for 2001 Golf. Means the 2001 are in high demand? Which means they will jack up the price? What would be a good price range to be bargaining at when I am talking to the dealer?
As I have seen, the invoice is almost 18k, but so far, dealerships that I have called all have sticker prices over 20k. Is this reasonable? After taxes and what not, wouldnt this push the price up to 22-23k?
Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Re: Need help purchasing a GTI (ajwuboy)

A 2001 1.8t is going to run you around 20k...I just bought a 2001 VR6 and paid 24k, it has every option available on it.

Dave

·
Registered
38 Posts
Re: Need help purchasing a GTI (-=VdubGuY=-)

Go for an '02. Lux pkg with cloth is $21,100. With leather their $22,000 (MSRP). Try to get a $1000 - $1200 off if you can. 2002's are a great price now ( same price as '01's - new pricing is not in effect yet ) plus you get the horsepower and the warranty!
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Need help purchasing a GTI (Dogman)

thank you for your prompt responses!
if you consider the warranty and the hp, then yes, i would def go for the 2002!
but are you sure the prices are the same? it doesnt make sense that the 2001 would still be the same price as the 2002 for now...
also, what other differences between the two models are there?

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Re: Need help purchasing a GTI (ajwuboy)

Other than the engine, the differance isnt to much... I *think* the gauge lights are differant and the dash is a little differant. But as far as body style I believe its the same

Dave

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
Re: Need help purchasing a GTI (-=VdubGuY=-)

i have heard something about the gearing / drive ratios being tweaked a little?
not sure and not sure how important that is ...
others: cosmetic changes (1.8T badge vs badgeless) ... um option packaging changes ... (individual options now i think vs packages / trim levels)

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Re: Need help purchasing a GTI (Mencius01)

I dont know about new gear ratio's, that would be sweet. They are comming out with the 6 speed with the VR6 also, arent they?
Dave

·
Registered
159 Posts
Re: Need help purchasing a GTI (Dogman)

As earlier posts have mentioned, the sunroof and leather become options on all the GTI's. But 2002 1.8's have 16 inch wheels standard and the VR6 has 17's standard. Later '01's will have an in-dash CD (most in stock now) and don't forget the improved warranty. If you still go for the '01, you should get a discount, but don't think you will get a good color choice. All that seem to be left are Matchstick Red.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts