VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't get all my CV joint bolts out. can I unbolt the tranny from the motor and drop the motor with the tranny still in the motor bay?

·
Registered
10,608 Posts
Re: Need help quick! removing engine with tranny still in car? (Mightymouse)

Yes but it's a very tight squeeze and a huge, HUGE pita. It'll be ALOT easier to just bite the bullet and deal with the CV bolts now, sooner or later you'll want to the CV joints anyways.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Re: Need help quick! removing engine with tranny still in car? (ABA Scirocco)

i was able to keep everything intacked and just lift the car over the motor and transmision with the axles still atached. i just pulled them out of the hubs. i used the engine lift and picked it up by the bumper mounts
hey it worked for me

·
Registered
445 Posts
Re: Need help quick! removing engine with tranny still in car? (Mightymouse)

my passenger side inner was like that. the p.o. used allen bolts instead of the triple squares, and it just wasn't happening.
luckily, i have a replacement, so i busted out the angle grinder and cutoff wheel and that was that. i figure it will be much easier to deal with those allens now that the transmission is out of the car, and the outer half of the shaft is still in the hub so i can move the car around without fear of destroying the bearing or anything. oh, if you decide to do this, make sure you loosen the hub nut first!! those things are usually super tight and it would probably be more of a pain to try and loosen it with just half a cv shaft to help you.
lucas.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts