VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I recently bought a 2000 Passat Wagon that I am going to use as a bit of a tinker-toy to get myself familiar with performing minor repairs on cars and VW in general.

I expected to run in to problems, but I feel like I have exhausted all the resources I have found on this (pretty specific) part and removing it to replace the lock cylinder.

The part in question is attached by 2 bolts and a pin according to everything I have found.

Here is an image I found online from someone trying to remove the same part: (Sorry it appears I can't post proper hyperlinks yet but I don't want to post "spammy" posts just to break the # of posts needed to add them.)
i29.photobucket.com/albums/c281/delsoldude21/trunkedit.jpg
I've removed the bolts and (after a struggle) the pin, but I'm not sure how to detach that lever from the outside handle without breaking something. I've already bent the mechanism a bit but it still operates without any issue, so I just want to avoid screwing it up any further.

I was only able to find a couple of youtube videos that seemed to be of any use when trying to remove the pin but I don't understand how to free the lever from the handle.
Here's one video, where the person recording actually states that they ended up breaking it while stripping it down:
youtube.com/watch?v=OX8kZnFnS7k
And then there is this one, where the person separates the mechanism from the plate that would still be attached to the car:
youtube.com/watch?v=NbYi7BDHlyU
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I wanted to do this because the lock cylinder is super corroded (really have no idea what happened to it) and the handle is stiff / doesn't spring back when let go.

Please help! I can pictures if desired but the examples above show the mechanism pretty well, and the image shows it in place where I am trying to remove it.

Thank you in advance to anyone who is willing to help a n00b fix his liftgate.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Not sure if this will help but I'm pretty sure I have an entire lock mechanism from a Passat. Mine would be from a B5.5 and I don't know if they are the same as B5 but if you want it, it's yours for the cost of shipping.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure if this will help but I'm pretty sure I have an entire lock mechanism from a Passat. Mine would be from a B5.5 and I don't know if they are the same as B5 but if you want it, it's yours for the cost of shipping.
I'd very well consider that! Can you send a picture? I should be able to figure out if it will work or not.

I still need to get the old one out, but thank you so much for the generous offer!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No worries! I did finally find what I needed online. I need to clean it up and combine the parts to make one good whole one, but I'm finally on my way to fixing this... I hope!

i.imgur.com/isAbel9.png

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.