VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
working on a friend's coupe 8v... and we are having some problems removing the timing belt sprocket.... everytime we pull on the bolt, the whole belt moves...

any hints/tips/ideas?

please help ASAP!

·
Banned
0 Posts
Re: need help removing the timing belt/sprocket... (BoostedOne)

Well the seal behind the top timing belt pulley leaks. I believe it is called the Cam Shaft Oil Seal.
We had one hell of a time trying to figure out removing the necessary bolts.

Any idea's or DIY threads on this matter?

How much you think it would cost a shop to replace that seal?

PLEASE HELP!!!

·
Registered
24,968 Posts
Re: need help removing the timing belt/sprocket... (VW n00b)

Is it the seal shape like a circle that goes behind the the pulley at the very top? If so make sure you get a ziptie to hold down the belt to keep it from moving. Next get a screw driver or punch and wedge it in one of the slots. Make sure its the side your turning it. Get a 19mm socket and a impact (If you have one) and take the bolt in the center of it. Make sure the belt doesnt move. You might need a rubber mallet to hit the back of the pulley to get it off. Just tap it. Hope this helps

Dreadz

·
Banned
0 Posts
Re: need help removing the timing belt/sprocket... (I Wuz BottlFedG60)

Quote, originally posted by I Wuz BottlFedG60 »
Is it the seal shape like a circle that goes behind the the pulley at the very top? If so make sure you get a ziptie to hold down the belt to keep it from moving. Next get a screw driver or punch and wedge it in one of the slots. Make sure its the side your turning it. Get a 19mm socket and a impact (If you have one) and take the bolt in the center of it. Make sure the belt doesnt move. You might need a rubber mallet to hit the back of the pulley to get it off. Just tap it. Hope this helps

Dreadz

So just loosen and take out the center bolt in the upper pulley? Because in the bently it lists that you have to take all these covers off and other belts. :/

·
Registered
24,968 Posts

Quote, originally posted by VW n00b »

So just loosen and take out the center bolt in the upper pulley? Because in the bently it lists that you have to take all these covers off and other belts. :/

If its the upper pulley, then its just the pulley cover you have to take off and that clips on. bently might recommend taking off the timing belt but it isnt necessary. If we're on the same page then go by my instruction's

·
Banned
0 Posts

Look at where the red arrow is. It is the TOP pulley when I take off that cover there. The seal behind that sprocket (I believe it is a sprocket, its what the belt spins on) is where the oil is leaking from. I have the new circular seal.

·
Registered
24,968 Posts

Look at where the red arrow is. It is the TOP pulley when I take off that cover there. The seal behind that sprocket (I believe it is a sprocket, its what the belt spins on) is where the oil is leaking from. I have the new circular seal.

Then we're on the same page. Do exactly wut i wrote in my original post and you can go wrong. you can do this without taking the valve cover off too. Just get a small flat head screwdriver and pry it out then slide the new one in.
Edit: I forgot that you have to loosen the belt tensioner right under that pulley but before you do that MAKE SURE YOU ZIPTIE THE BELT ON THE TOP PULLEY use like 4 or 5 of them if you have to just make sure its secure. the belt tensioner will allow some slack on the belt. When you slide the pulley off, make sure their is tension on it. I usually ziptie it around the strut housing. This is so the belt doesnt slip off the bottom pulley.
Gotta love zipties..........million & one uses

Modified by I Wuz BottlFedG60 at 3:26 AM 2-14-2004

·
Banned
0 Posts

So totally take out the center bolt?
Then slide in the new seal?
Then re-install the center bolt?

Modified by VW n00b at 12:24 AM 2-14-2004

·
Banned
0 Posts

ziptie to hold down the belt to keep it from moving. Next get a screw driver or punch and wedge it in one of the slots. Make sure its the side your turning it. Get a 19mm socket and a impact (If you have one) and take the bolt in the center of it. Make sure the belt doesnt move. You might need a rubber mallet to hit the back of the pulley to get it off. Just tap it.
loosen the belt tensioner right under that pulley but before you do that MAKE SURE YOU ZIPTIE THE BELT ON THE TOP PULLEY use like 4 or 5 of them if you have to just make sure its secure. the belt tensioner will allow some slack on the belt. When you slide the pulley off, make sure their is tension on it. I usually ziptie it around the strut housing. This is so the belt doesnt slip off the bottom pulley.
That everything?

·
Registered
24,968 Posts

That everything?

Yup.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts

Don't worry about strapping your belt to your pulley, just replace it.
An impact wrench is your best friend right now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts