VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so a buddy of mine needed his axles replaced due to a combination of upping his boost in the tdi and lowering it, now he had blown the casing around the ball bearings ( d/s) so we re built it then a few days later the p/s outer is making funky noises. so we decided we should just replace the axles,
so we go to advanced auto because they have lifetime warrentys on their axles. ordered, took about 3 days to get them, and finally get to working on it and notice they ordered the ones for a 1.8t. bring them back and they happen to have the right ones in stock ( this is where if it sounds too good to be true it normally is comes into play) so we take them out and look and they are the same style as the ones were taking out, so we bring them back to the shop, and i noticed that the spline section is way too small so i end up taking those back, and having them cross referance the nmbers and those are the ones they have in the computer. so my question is, did the tdi come with two different size hubs/splines or is advanced auto not getting the right stuff?

·
Banned
3,950 Posts
Although I cant answer quite what your asking with certainty, I am pretty sure TDI's only had one size axle. What year tdi is it?

Just as an FYI, I've never heard of somebody having issues with their tdi axles.. and I've seen a lot of high-power builds. If he's having those sorts of issues, grab some Porsche, err, VR6 axles. Expensive, but huge and will last forever.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Where in NJ are you? Anywhere north of RTe. 78 call RPM foreign auto. They are THE best. 973-448-9440, in Byram NJ.

Anyways, speaking from experience, my 01 Tdi (I assume your car is a MK4 because you mentioned a 1.8T), takes an axle with an OPEN inner CV. 1.8T or VR6 I THINK, take axles with a closed inner CV. Bring in your CV to cross reference...

After 100K any car can have problems with their CV joints and axle, and lowering it WILL exacerbate any underlying tiny problems.

Good luck...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts