VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I need to get to Laguardia Airport from Poughkeepsie NY tomorrow but the catch is that its in a commercial vehicle.

Little did I know, as I never travel down there in this vehicle, that you cannot use any of the parkways when in a commercial vehicle, and FYI, just about every road down is a parkway.

Anyway, this is the route I planned out to avoid the parkways but it seems that after getting just about there after crossing the Whitestone bridge, i'm still forced onto the whitestone expressway it seems.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Pou...b9aa!2m2!1d-73.8707313!2d40.7706988!3e0?hl=en

Anyone here have any suggestions on what to do?

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Click on "options" , check "avoid highways, and tolls" and route again.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I travel those roads all the time around LaGuardia. You need to specify the exact type of vehicle your using and I can help you out. If your using a pick up truck or van with commercial plates you are fine. So let me know what ur driving and I'll try to help you out.

Okay, so I need to get to Laguardia Airport from Poughkeepsie NY tomorrow but the catch is that its in a commercial vehicle.

Little did I know, as I never travel down there in this vehicle, that you cannot use any of the parkways when in a commercial vehicle, and FYI, just about every road down is a parkway.

Anyway, this is the route I planned out to avoid the parkways but it seems that after getting just about there after crossing the Whitestone bridge, i'm still forced onto the whitestone expressway it seems.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Pou...b9aa!2m2!1d-73.8707313!2d40.7706988!3e0?hl=en

Anyone here have any suggestions on what to do?

·
Registered
26 Posts
There's no restrictions on that, they are mainly referring to box trucks and bigger due to the low bridges on some of the parkways thru the Westchester area. Also, they don't allow vehicles with dual wheels in the back.

Also, I'm. It sure if your picking up or dropping some off at the airport but you need to allow extra time because LaGuardia is under going major construction - it took me an hour to get from the Grand Central Parkway to the terminals the other day - approximately a half mile.

Ford F150.

Thanks for the help. Cant believe I forgot to mention it in the OP.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There's no restrictions on that, they are mainly referring to box trucks and bigger due to the low bridges on some of the parkways thru the Westchester area. Also, they don't allow vehicles with dual wheels in the back.

Also, I'm. It sure if your picking up or dropping some off at the airport but you need to allow extra time because LaGuardia is under going major construction - it took me an hour to get from the Grand Central Parkway to the terminals the other day - approximately a half mile.
So I should be able to go down the Hutchinson like I do in my regular car no problem with a commercial F150? Awesome.

And thanks for the tip about the construction. Its why I'm doing one of the off site parking lots as I read parking is limited at the airport. I'm going at 4am so traffic shouldn't be too bad I hope.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You'll be fine with the route you selected - when you get close to NYC listen to AM radio station 1010 - decent traffic reports every 10 minutes. Do yourself a favor and call the lot you plan on using as some will not take full size vehicles.

Good Luck.

So I should be able to go down the Hutchinson like I do in my regular car no problem with a commercial F150? Awesome.

And thanks for the tip about the construction. Its why I'm doing one of the off site parking lots as I read parking is limited at the airport. I'm going at 4am so traffic shouldn't be too bad I hope.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts