VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She recently hit a deer
and I need suggestions of local restoration shops, not body shops. I need, and will settle for, nothing less than a true craftsman working on this car. The first moron that touches the car will be the kiss of death for what this car was and still could be. I live in Southern MD but will take the car as far as six hours away for the right shop and attitude. Please post any suggestions as my heart is broken with each passing day she is wadded up.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
There is a place in manassas va that does VW Restorations, their number is 703.361.3374

and then there is this place in Clinton MD
Ed's Vw Restoration
(301) 297-5310
Hope that helps

·
Registered
8,905 Posts
Re: Need help saving my MK1 Rocco (vwleadfoot)

OUCH!!!
aww man....i feel for you. I just wish I could have a scirocco1. If you need any mechanical work on that I know someone if you should need help there. He is truely great with working on them, he loves them. Anyways, good luck getting the rocco back in shape and back on the road.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Need help saving my MK1 Rocco (Waagenz)

thanks guys...ill look into those shops. I do all of my own mechanical work because I can't stand for someone else to touch my baby. But now it is necessary, thus I need an artist, someone who will really care what it turns out like. Plain old body shops have only ever let me down.

'Perciate any more input.........

·
Registered
1,305 Posts

[email protected] knows a shop in bethesda that is particularly anal about their work. All of his shop's (martens vw) bodywork is sent there. Might be what you're looking for in this situation. Drop him an IM or email ([email protected]) before he leaves for the weekend.
btw - from what I can see, beautiful rocco. Hope she's feeling better soon.

·
Administrator
'20 R1250 GSA, '17 Alltrak SEL, '89 Tristar Syncro TDi, '80 Scirocco "S"
23,425 Posts
Re: Need help saving my MK1 Rocco ([email protected])

Awww... poor Scirocco!

The guy who painted my Mk1 would certainly be up to the task of taking care of things... called B&B collision and they have moved from downtown Annapolis to a new facility off of Rt2 kinda out towards the Southern end of Annapolis. The guy to talk to is Ted who is the shop owner and has some really nice work on drag cars, custom bikes, Minis, etc...
Lemme know how it turns out. The guy that did my MkII Scirocco (Doug Baker) does nice work and is cheap... but doesn't have a formal paint booth. If you need pics of either let me know.
Good luck with that... that is a nice car and definitely worth fixing up to its former glory. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
13,096 Posts

Wagonworks in Alexandria has an excellent reputation for body repair. A restoration shop is a novel concept - perhaps White Post Restorations in VA although I don't think you'd want to pay their rates and wait for them to "do it right".
Why a Restoration shop anyways? Most craftsmen that work in Restoration shops aren't interested in straigtening the chassis tweaks in the car - the true craftsmen are interested in making the interior 100% original including all the factory stickers, screws and fasteners or removing all the paint from your car, repainting it and making it look factory original.
Do yourself a favor and find a reputable body shop to fix the body work - they're pros at body repair. If you want a paint pro, find one of those too but don't waste your money at a Restoration shop.

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
Re: Need help saving my MK1 Rocco ([email protected])

Quote, originally posted by [email protected] »
Awww... poor Scirocco!

The guy who painted my Mk1 would certainly be up to the task of taking care of things... called B&B collision and they have moved from downtown Annapolis to a new facility off of Rt2 kinda out towards the Southern end of Annapolis. The guy to talk to is Ted who is the shop owner and has some really nice work on drag cars, custom bikes, Minis, etc...
Lemme know how it turns out. The guy that did my MkII Scirocco (Doug Baker) does nice work and is cheap... but doesn't have a formal paint booth. If you need pics of either let me know.
Good luck with that... that is a nice car and definitely worth fixing up to its former glory. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

I would just take paul's advice and end your search... the body and paint on his 'rocco are amazing. The guy who did it definately put some love into it.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Need help saving my MK1 Rocco (mgyip)

I need a restoration shop because this is goingg to involve extensive, labor intensive metal working. I want to keep every panel on the car, with no overspray. My worst fear is what the front crossmember will look like after some hack gets a hold of it and starts yagging on it with no fear of what it will do to the turn out of the job. I have yet to see a craftsman that works at a normal body shop, at least not down here in "gods country" dee by god

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll be calling them.
[email protected] you the one with the car just like mine with a 16v in it? If so I never took a good look at the body work on your car. I thought the guy next door to NGP did it. Please enlighten me...

·
Feels Like the First Time
6,870 Posts

Thats a shame, I remember your car in better times, IE H2O last year...
Next to Paul's...

Good Luck!

·
Registered
819 Posts
Re: Need help saving my MK1 Rocco (DeeJoker)

wagonworks in alexandria... expensive, but worth every penny... if you want the metal work done right, this is the place...

·
Registered
7,890 Posts

You get what you pay for in bodywork.
With that said, check out Bucky's Ltd. in Martinsburg, WV. I know these people and have for a long time. Ive seen nothing short of Grade A craftsmanship come out of there. They ain't cheap, hence the first line of my reply.
In addition, a few of the "craftsmen" there are AVID V-Dubbers.. So they know what you will expect.
I don't know the number off the top of my head, but will be in the 411.
HTH

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

any other suggestions? I will be taking a couple of days soon to go out and find the shop to do the job, any other recs will help greatly!

·
Registered
1,780 Posts

There is a place in North Carolina (about 6 hrs away) German Speed Merchants, from what I've seen they do very nice work, very nice guys, and they seem to work on all years of VW's if you want the contact info im me

1 - 16 of 16 Posts