VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have an older aftermarket car reciever and I'd really like to make it work at home as an indoor cd player/amplifier. I've seen others do this using car batterys and such or using a combo car battery/ac power adapter... what I'm wondering is what kind of power adapter do I need amd where I can find one at.... I've looked lots of places it has to be able to handle at least 200watts.
And how exactly do I "convince" the radio that it's in the car. I know that I should hook up the ground positive and negative feeds to whatever AC to 12volt DC adapter I get... but what do I do with the remote/acc wire... Does this wire even matter?
And it would be really cool if I could make it so it required be to insert a key and turn a lock before it would power up... Any help with this would be awsome...
Using a compuer powersupply I've been able to make the security LED on the unit flash but I've had no luck in getting the unit to actually turn on...
Thanks.
-Silent-

·
Registered
20,571 Posts
Re: Need help trying to use old stereo at home? (Silent Lite)

This 5A power supply would be ideal for a basic headunit with low power internal amp.
12V 5A as a start, these bench type power supplies are the norm for technicians/ electronic hobbyist. These are simple transformers, rectifier, filter caps and a regulator (bullet-proof). Short the leads on this and the fuse pops, replace it and your good to go.
Heres a pic I yanked off ebay to show the style of power supply.

Its important to note the minimum amperage requirements of your radio.
There are some low powered 2.5A power supplys on ebay, but you'll need at least a healthy 5amp with surge capabilites.

This one is a switching power supply, not any more complicated as far as wiring goes. You just need to have a load before turning on a switching power supply (have the radio wired). Older switching power supply designs would poop out if you had no load on the outputs, newer ones have a sensing circuit and would not fully power up, and also has short circuit protection.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...=2563
Just becarefull with the wiring, you want to be around to enjoy the music.

Modified by Eric D at 1:00 PM 2-14-2004

·
Registered
20,571 Posts
Re: Need help trying to use old stereo at home? (Eric D)

200 watts max? Combined? you'll need at least a 14A power supply, the switching one would work, I'm sure your not playing it at max volume all the time. I would recommend a fan to cool the power supply.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Re: Need help trying to use old stereo at home? (Eric D)

Quote, originally posted by Eric D »
200 watts max? Combined? you'll need at least a 14A power supply, the switching one would work, I'm sure your not playing it at max volume all the time. I would recommend a fan to cool the power supply.

Why would he use a fan to cool it down? I am pretty sure my cd player in my car doesnt need a fan, how would this be any different?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was just sorta using 200 as an estimate I found out that it's a 4x40watt peak amplifier so probably about 20 or 19rms which means I'd probably only need like 120-150watts... but my main question is if I use that kind of powersupply will my radio just be able to turn on or do I need to do something else other than just give it power?

·
Registered
20,571 Posts
Re: Need help trying to use old stereo at home? (ghettlo)

Quote, originally posted by ghettlo »
Why would he use a fan to cool it down? I am pretty sure my cd player in my car doesn't need a fan, how would this be any different?

A fan to cool the power supply not the CD. Switching power supplies when run near the max wattage run hot. You wouldn't remove the fan on your PC would you? Since the power supply I posted above doesn't show the specs, you would need to know the operating conditions. When you select your power supply, look at the specs for operating temps.
The manufacture will state where and how the power supply should be mounted. Some specify a fan, others don't. The power supply will usually have a plug for the fan, if not you'll tap into the +12v and common ground.
As for the amperage of the head unit, whats the rating of the fuse?
Use that as your guide and not the internal amps power rating. I'm sure there is a bunch of THD at 40w. Also the specs are usually exaggerated from the mfg.
The difference between the two power supplies is how clean the voltage is. The top pic has a big transformer and is rectified and filtered, then regulated. The switching power supply is adjustable, so you can set your ideal voltage, its also filtered, and usually a smaller form factor.
Like I've said, I've used both types.
If you have a spare PC power supply, look to see if the +12v (yellow wire) has at least 10A. Don't forget to have the load on it. You won't be using the -12v off the PC power supply (blue wire), you'll use the black common ground wires.
Doesn't get much cheaper than a used/ spare PC power supply.

·
Registered
20,571 Posts
Re: (Silent Lite)

If you want memory back-up, use a small battery such as gel cell.
Heres an affordable battery on ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...=2563
Use this small battery as the back-up power source, use the PC power supply as the main power source. You could even recharge the battery off the PC power supply.
You could also run the CD off a battery like this, the down side is that these small batteries would need to be recharged often. The small chargers they sell for these are trickle chargers and take upto 14hrs to recharge.
I would recommend a battery with a higher AH (amps per hour).
This one is a bit over kill. You could have it run for days before needing a charge.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...=4660

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.