VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14,060 Posts
Re: NEED HELP with Deck install (jason.smeall)

Did you check the wire(s) for power? Check blown fuses? Check fuse on back of headunit?
Try wiring the constant and acc. wires directly to the battery terminals to make sure the headunit actually works.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Re: NEED HELP with Deck install (Dan J Reed)

I had that deck until it was ripped outta my car, FYI I wired it using power from harness but I remember it reccomends you use 10gauge straight to the battery. check wires again and fuses even fuse on back of the deck.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Re: NEED HELP with Deck install (Joey Russo)

What year is your vehicle some are retarded and the ground is messed up. Although it should ground through the antenna (Not a good ground). Pull the deck out and try to hook power to the wires directly (Red, yellow connected together hooked to positive on battery and black hooked to ground)
The factory wiring should be sufficient, If you are using a harness adapter check the pins even the best company's harness can go bad.
Check the pins and continuity through the wires. If all that is done check the power wires Directly in the factory harness, Check to make sure they are functional and match up with the harness correctly. It is easy to overlook a missing or miss placed wire.
And i have found that some models do not have the acc wire, That wire in some models is done by can bus which in this case most of you accessory's are controlled this way to.
I know some have already suggested to check the power wires and "Bench Test The Unit" But it does not hurt to say it again as that is important to diagnosing a problem

·
Registered
92 Posts
Re: (jason.smeall)

Did you check the power on that factory harness does it show a full 12v or more alpine i have seen them run on my 9.6v Drill battery and some will not. Does not matter if the radio says it has a high power internal amp it will not draw enough power to need a 10g power.
Look at the size of the radio what type of amplification do you expect 60x4 its a 9813 (thats an old deck) so it will not use 60x4 all the time that is peak power its rms is prob 25x4. And think about that 60x4 would be 15 a channel not enough to cause serious damage to the factory wiring system or any for that matter.
What exactly have you tried.
Check you speakers for shorts to ground as this can possibly cause a problem, there is so many things that could be at fault here.
At the most check the vehicles powers acc and constant preferably with a DMM so you can see the voltage coming from the acc wire in your car. Did you try connected both the red and yellow wire to constant power?

·
Registered
178 Posts
anyone who works on electrical should buy a Digital VOM (multimeter). Can't begin to tell you how many headaches mine has spared me especially with working on cars where the wirings been ripped out etc. $30.00 at sears for a craftsman VOM with a warranty. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.