VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 02 golf gti 1.8t i am thinking of buying because it is a great deal, i think. they want 6k (i haggled a little) but there is a road noise. it is a slight huming noise when driving coming from the wheels i think, then when you go around a left hand turn the load bearing side on the right gets louder. I think i might be the wheel bearings. Do these offen get bad? The car has 116k miles and has a couple mods. so it not like it has had a granny driven life. But most of everything else seems good. What else could that noise be??? my brother is a master tech and said that he thinks it might be that. i Talked with him over the phone, he did not actually see or hear this noise. I am taking it to a dealer to have them check over it before i decide on buying it. I know i will have them check on the bearings and noise and also run a compression check. What else should i have them specifically check for??? Anything that is a common VW issue. the t belt supposedly has been changed at about 90k. but of coarse no receits. he gave me the number to the shop so i will call them tomorrow.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i live about 2 hour drive away from the gti, do you think i could drive safetly home? i would like to do it myself... Yea thats what i thought about the sketchyness. I need to call the shop. If the belt has been changed it should not show any signs of deterioration or cracking, if it is only 25k old. so maybe i will have the dealer check into that too.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh yeah, it has been chipped too. I used to have a tsi and wrx so i am quiite familiar with turbos and this car seems to spike to about 19-20psi before settling at about 15psi. Is this boost spiking normal. You would think if it was chipped it would not spike like that, unless it is chipped with an mbc or just an mbc...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.