VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help with getting my car started after getting screwed by a fellow vortexer. UPDATED

I traded my very nice condition 86 8v gli for a 88 carrat look because i mine was a stick and the carrat was an auto so my wife can drive. i didnt even get the car home a blew a piston rod which then put about a 2 X 6 inch hole in my block. i called him back and led me on to think he was going to come down to help me out and reacting very sympathetic. he lives about 3 hours away so its not a crazy drive. when i call him a couple days before he was supposed to come dow he gives me a lame exuse about having jury duty on sunday. so i realized i got screwed over and was broke as a joke so i had no choice but to fix.
four weeks later i got the block in everything connected. the car wasnt starting and realized the grounds werent connected properly. so i got together and the starter sounds kind of week but it turns and the fuel system is definately working because i can smell the fuel since its not firing. the only thing not connected if the knock sensor cause the connecting harness shattered so i an going to get another one but that shouldnt stop the car from starting. please any help would be great i have spent alot of time on the stupid car and just want to get it started. thanks in advance for the advice.
i tried the test light on the injector harness and the light would flash but it was more like the light would get weak and dim in and out. the light never really shut off. would this still be the ecu of injectors. thanks

Modified by Ricanchef at 8:55 AM 2-27-2004

·
Registered
503 Posts
Re: Need help with getting my car started after getting screwed by a fellow vortexer (Ricanchef)

the car wasnt starting and realized the grounds werent connected properly.
You just smoked your Digi ECU.
Time to hit the junkyards and ebay. Prices vary wildly, so don't pay more than $80.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Re: Need help with getting my car started after getting screwed by a fellow vortexer (Ricanchef)

either that or the cam timing is WAY off ?

·
Registered
10,505 Posts

You cooked the injector drivers on the ECU. I've done the same thing.
I bet if you pull a spark plug after trying to start it, it will be soaking wet with fuel. You can also check by pluging a LED into your injector harness where it plugs into the fuel rail. Pull that harness and plug an LED into it. Then have someone turn the motor over whilst you watch the LED. If it flashes, then it's not the ECU. If it stays on steady, the injector drivers in the ECU cooked.
If that's the case, just go grab a new ECU and everything will probably be fine.

Modified by HiJinx at 10:04 PM 2-13-2004

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Re: Need help with getting my car started after getting screwed by a fellow vortexer (HiJinx)

I'll sell you my ECU dude, I'm in no need of it, I have two

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Re: Need help with getting my car started after getting screwed by a fellow vortexer (hennessey833)

talk about dub love !! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

i else would i be able to tell if the ecu is shoot. i triple checked the timing before i put the belt on. i lined up the cam gear using the dipple in the inside and the crankshaft using the flywheel and the distributor rotor with the cap. so the timing should be right.
so i guess i should start looking for a ecu. thanks for the help.

·
Registered
10,505 Posts

Did you pull the injector harness yet and plug a test light or LED into it to see what the signal is like yet?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Re: Need help with getting my car started after getting screwed by a fellow vortexer (HiJinx)

alright, i'm having the same problem, and most likely also have smoked something electronic...(no big deal though, i have quite a few parts at my disposal). in reference to the "spark plug soaking wet with fuel"...there is another active thread at this moment concerning gasoline in the crankcase, and its detrimental effects on the engine. my question, is that after trying to start the engine repeatedly with the fuel pump running, but no spark, am i at any risk here of a permanently damaged engine?

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Re: Need help with getting my car started after getting screwed by a fellow vortexer (hella)

Your only risk is going to be dumping raw gas into the cat which is gonna kill it pretty quickly, I have blown 3 ECU's all with different reasons behind them .Its a tad frustrating but there are cheap ECU's out there

·
Registered
238 Posts
Re: Need help with getting my car started after getting screwed by a fellow vortexer (Coupe__88)

good thing i dont have a cat...
wait..how would it get into the cat?

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Re: Need help with getting my car started after getting screwed by a fellow vortexer (hella)

the fuel doesnt get burned , the exhaust valve opens, the piston kicks it out like the bouncer to a player

·
Banned
3,582 Posts
Re: Need help with getting my car started after getting screwed by a fellow vortexer (Coupe__88)

Quote, originally posted by Coupe__88 »
the piston kicks it out like the bouncer to a player

·
Registered
877 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Ricanchef »
the carrat was an auto so my wife can drive.

Probably would have been easier to just teach your wife how to drive.

You should see my wife drive the 16v when shes pi$$ed off or in a hurry!

·
Registered
932 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Ricanchef »
realized the grounds werent connected properly. so i got together and the starter sounds kind of week but it turns and the fuel system is definately working because i can smell the fuel since its not firing

I did pretty much the same thing...the ECU turned out to be fine I just cooked the injectors (three of the four) themselves...the harness and ecu were fine...only took me a month to figure it out
...swapped the jets and now I'm back on the road.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

well i got another ecu and it started up. but didnt have enough fluids so i shut it off. tryed it again later and turn on again but died out and gave me the same problem. no spark just the motor turning and the ground smoking a little. i went to autozone got a new ground and another ecu from the junk and the starter sound alot stronger but still no spark. i think this ecu was not good from the start
i am going to try that test light thing. i guess there is only two wires per injector. and flasing light is good and steady light is not good.
i know this may be a difficult questing but does any know which one the injector driver is. may be i can try replaceing the driver.
i am going to try another ecu and hopes this works. at 17 buck a shoot this can get expensive quick.
thanks for all the help. i'll keep you posted.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts