VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I have a 2006 Jetta GLI 6 speed manual, with HID headlights and so far its been a nightmare!!!! When I got the car a few years ago I had a low beam light that had poor visibility and so I tried to change it and upon doing so the wires got frayed and I didn’t have a front left headlight for about a year and a half. Fast forward to this past summer and I purchased mkv Gti headlights off facebook and I swapped it out and lo and behold I have a working headlight! However, it does not shut off but my right one does! I tried checking the switch and removing it and nothing, checked the 40 amp fuses and nothing, checked the multi purpose relay and I think its still working as it makes a slightly audible click (don’t know if this is the issue, but if it was bad wouldnt the other headlight have the same issue?), the ballast seems to be okay (would rather not replace it but I can if thats what everyone suggests), I already replaced the igniter so I am dumbfounded as to what it can be, could it be the relay or something else? In short I have to remove the 40 amp fuse everytime after I’m done driving the car so the battery doesnt die and when I remove it my rear brake light doesnt work! What a nightmare this has been Please help! Thank you

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
What year were the GTI headlights from? Also HID? So it's always on, like no matter what, if connected? That doesn't make sense. There should only be 12V power for emergency hazard/flasher lights when the key is off. You said the wires got "frayed". Well, un-fray them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What year were the GTI headlights from? Also HID? So it's always on, like no matter what, if connected? That doesn't make sense. There should only be 12V power for emergency hazard/flasher lights when the key is off. You said the wires got "frayed". Well, un-fray them.
So I think they were from an 06 or an 07, they were HID as well, ballast and everything. I thought they were the exact same part but shared across the platform as a lot of other parts? Or are they different? And the wires frayed on the headlight that I took out, not on the one I replaced. No frayed wires here. Headlight pivots and works, it just doesnt shut off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I think they were from an 06 or an 07, they were HID as well, ballast and everything. I thought they were the exact same part but shared across the platform as a lot of other parts? Or are they different? And the wires frayed on the headlight that I took out, not on the one I replaced. No frayed wires here. Headlight pivots and works, it just doesnt shut off.
How do I exactly check that? Do I have to get my multi meter and check the wires individually when the car is off?

·
Registered
10,461 Posts
Hello everyone! I have a 2006 Jetta GLI 6 speed manual, with HID headlights and so far its been a nightmare!!!! When I got the car a few years ago I had a low beam light that had poor visibility and so I tried to change it and upon doing so the wires got frayed and I didn’t have a front left headlight for about a year and a half. Fast forward to this past summer and I purchased mkv Gti headlights off facebook and I swapped it out and lo and behold I have a working headlight! However, it does not shut off but my right one does! I tried checking the switch and removing it and nothing, checked the 40 amp fuses and nothing, checked the multi purpose relay and I think its still working as it makes a slightly audible click (don’t know if this is the issue, but if it was bad wouldnt the other headlight have the same issue?), the ballast seems to be okay (would rather not replace it but I can if thats what everyone suggests), I already replaced the igniter so I am dumbfounded as to what it can be, could it be the relay or something else? In short I have to remove the 40 amp fuse everytime after I’m done driving the car so the battery doesnt die and when I remove it my rear brake light doesnt work! What a nightmare this has been Please help! Thank you
Check for voltage at Pin 6 at the 12 pin plug at the headlight, what is that voltage with the key out and headlights off of both sides.

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
As far as I know, all the bi-xenon headlights for the GTI and GLI were basically the same, and interchangeable.

The headlight are controlled by the Cecm J519 based by input from headlight switch and coding.
That's what I was going to point out. If the voltage at the headlight connector is still +12v when the light switch is off, then the J519 CECM is sending the wrong signal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.