VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 Jetta TDI that I bought about 2 months ago. I had the fuel filter, timing belt and air filter changed at that time since it had 60,000 miles on it. Everything was running great for at least a month when I noticed the following problem the first cool morning this month.
Here is the problem in a nutshell: The car starts up fine, but when I try to drive it it won't go above 1200 RPM's no matter how much I depress the gas peddle. There is NO power and it eventually sputters and stalls out. I can immediately start it back up and the same thing will happen. It has been cooler this last weekend and this morning it happened again (another cool morning) and the MIL light came on as well.
When I got home this afternoon it was warmer. The car started up although it sounded a bit rough and was smoking. The exhaust smelled really strong too. I made it to Autozone where they read the code P0252: Injection Pump Fuel Metering Control "A" Range/Performance (Cam/Rotor/Injector).
Has anyone seen this one before? I have done some research and can't find much about this code. I was kind of hoping it would be the MAF sensor since that is still under warranty. Any help that anyone can offer would be so much appreciated as I will be riding my bike to work until I get this fixed.
Thanks,
Karla

· Registered
23,062 Posts
Re: Need Help with P0252 Code!!! (karlaslc)

* VW DTC (16636) P0252 - Injection Pump Metering Control (A) Range / Performance
If you're saying that the exhaust is smelling way rich, you've got an issue with the car reading air into the car.
Now, if it was a MAF, you would get a MAF code reading stating too high or too low a voltage.
On your TDi there is a Injection Pump Quantity Adjuster module that left of the oil filter housing in the engine bay.
It stores the fuel temp sensor (G81), quanity adjustor (N146), and modulating piston displacement sensor (G149).
It states in the Bentley service manual on page 23-7 for the TDi troubleshooting that a injection pump can fail.
That will produce poor power output and slow acceleration / top speed as noted in the manual.
You may just want to start there...
- Erik

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Need Help with P0252 Code!!! (bluefox280)

Thank you for the suggestions Erik! Does the manual say anything about the Injection pump fuel metering control? Is that an electronic component?
Thanks again for your time,
Karla

· Registered
23,062 Posts
Re: Need Help with P0252 Code!!! (bluefox280)

Quote, originally posted by karlaslc »
Does the manual say anything about the Injection pump fuel metering control?

Quote, originally posted by bluefox280 »
quanity adjustor (N146)

If anything I would say that is it...
Quote, originally posted by karlaslc »
Is that an electronic component?

I would assume so, yes.

· Registered
31 Posts
This must be a 2003 Jetta TDI issue. Mine has done the same thing P0252. Cuts in and out of limp mode and no power though. The light comes on and then goes out for a couple of months and then comes on again for a few days and then the light comes on again. It goes into limp mode and then back to normal. So I'm guessing the injection pump is going. Great. I'll have it checked with a friend Ross-tech and see what is what.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.