VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help with timing belt tensioner.
I've got the tensioner in, and I can put tension on the belt, but it doesn't move the fingers together. Maybe I'm missing something, I don't know. Is the tensioner supposed to be oriented in a certain way? I've looked all over google and I can't seem to figure out how to get the indicator fingers to line up. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Banned
53,529 Posts
Are you following the instructions in your Bentley Service Manual exactly? Section 15a-14.

Step 12, Tension the toothed belt by turning the center section eccentric of the tensioner with a 2 pin spanner wrench until the notch and the indicator pointer line up. When the marks line up, tighten the securing nut.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you following the instructions in your Bentley Service Manual exactly? Section 15a-14.

Step 12, Tension the toothed belt by turning the center section eccentric of the tensioner with a 2 pin spanner wrench until the notch and the indicator pointer line up. When the marks line up, tighten the securing nut.
I can turn the center piece around, and around, thus putting tension on the belt, and taking tension off the belt, but doing that it does not move the indicator.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My question wasn't really involving what tool to use... It was how is the tensioner suposed to be oriented? Or does it not matter?

·
Banned
53,529 Posts
My question wasn't really involving what tool to use... It was how is the tensioner suposed to be oriented? Or does it not matter?
It should be directly below the cam drive pulley, with it's pointer in the approximate 10:30 position. The holding center bolt should be on the upper left quadrant and the eccentric plate on the lower right.

When the eccentric is pulled counterclockwise enough, the pointer and fixed notch will be in the same line.

Bentley section 15a, Fig 22.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It should be directly below the cam drive pulley, with it's pointer in the approximate 10:30 position. The holding center bolt should be on the upper left quadrant and the eccentric plate on the lower right.

When the eccentric is pulled counterclockwise enough, the pointer and fixed notch will be in the same line.

Bentley section 15a, Fig 22.
Thank you alot. With that, I was able to get it set properly. Thank you again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.