VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 84 gti i am trying to get running. my problem is i eliminated the a/c and moved the alternator up with VW brackets. now my alternator pulley does not line up with the crank/water pump pulley's. need help on what pulley's to use.

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
Re: NEED HELP!!! (shaolinmastr)

you need an alt pully from a non-AC equipped 8v

·
Registered
703 Posts

dude, take my advice! get the proper pulley. i tore off my ac, and just ran it like that. blew my alternator in a year. got a new alternator. now, a year later, my alternator is making weird noises and i am very worried. the pulleys are only off by 1/4 inch, don't look like much, but it seems like it makes a huge difference!
anybody selling non-ac alternator pulleys?!
barrett

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
if it sits to far in, then shim it out. if it sits to far out, then switch pulleys to one that does not sit as far out.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (vw16vcabby)

i have the longest pulley on the alternator and it's still short. i need to pull in the water pump/crank pulley towards the alternator.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Re: (vw16vcabby)

"if it sits to far in, then shim it out. if it sits to far out, then switch pulleys to one that does not sit as far out."
can i be the first to say- REALLY!!!!!!! DO YA THINK!!!!!!
we realise that we need a different pulley to get the belt in closer. but where can we get one besides a junkyard?
barrett
(don't take me too seriously)

·
Registered
5,743 Posts

The biggest problem is not the alternator pulley, it's the crank and waterpump pulley probably. Crank and water pump pulleys are specific to each set up, W/O A/C, With A/C and With A/C P/S....etc.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: NEED HELP!!! (fwdvw)

really. i thought maybe someone has done this and knows what vehicle they got the pulley's from!

·
Registered
5,743 Posts

Any A1 and A2 for that matter can supply you with the Pulleys. Need to look for a Junk Yard car that has the configuration. Look for one with the alternator in the same place as yours, and then pull all the pulleys, even the Alternator to be safe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts