VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of you guys must know what the correct amount of voltage is supposed to be going into the ISV when the motor is not running and when it idling. Mine is at 2.7-2.8 volts at ignition, and like 1.0 when at idle. This can't be right, and it's causing all kinds of havoc for me.
I'd appreciate any input.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Need Help! (Glenn J)

That would be just great. I appreciate it.
I put my power drill's 12V battery to the ISV, and I can hear it turn open, and turn closed then I remove the connection. So I don't think that the actual ISV is the problem. It may be the connection to it however. Otherwise, I don't know how I'm going to fix this one... 2.8 volts... could it be a short?

Modified by BigBoi at 3:22 PM 5-19-2004

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Re: Need Help! (BigBoi)

I'm having ISV trouble myself. On warmer days, the idle likes to sit at about 2,000 RPM. I'm narrowing the problem down to an air leak or an ISV that needs to be replaced. I've already cleaned it three times in the past few weeks.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Need Help! (Glenn J)

Next time you take it off... do me the quick favor and check the voltage coming out of the plug at the one position.
Good luck to you man... my car keeps idling roughly, and it really hesitates on acceleration.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Re: Need Help! (BigBoi)

Here we go.. Der Bentley says:
IAC Vale resistance: 6 to 12 ohms
current, engine ilding 620 +/- 20 mA
duty cycle, engine idling 30%- 50%
Sadly, aside from ohms, I'm clueless....

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Re: (joesfly)

It's only found on OBDI cars and it controls the idle to compensate for engine load....like when you kick the A/C on.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Re: (Glenn J)

Quote, originally posted by Glenn J »
It's only found on OBDI cars and it controls the idle to compensate for engine load....like when you kick the A/C on.

Aight. I don't know jack about this stuff, but I'm having a rough idle/hesitation on acceleration problem like someone said above. I have replaced everything in my signature, but I don't know where else to turn except the MAF.
So maybe this "ISV" thing is my problem. What would really help me is to figure out what the heck an ISV is and if I have one in my car ('96 Jetta GL 2.0L).
Any help's appreciated!

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
You don't have the ISV, I believe. It's on OBDI mobiles and it's found behind the intake manifold on the driver's side. It's a silver cannister held on by a bracket mounted to the back of the intake.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts