VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
30,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tell me whatever you know about these monsters (reliability, parts avail, longevity, tunability etc etc). I'm going to go look at one today at lunch

3.6L V8 240bhp 245ft-lbs
Yes Virgina, someday Silly_me will buy his new toy and leave all the vortexers alone...

·
Registered
'20 Kia Telluride SX, '17 Mazda CX-5, '07 Airstream Safari SE 23'
11,125 Posts
Re: Need info ASAP: re: 1990 Audi V8 (Silly_me)

Oh Silly, will it ever end....

While I've dealt with a lot of friends owning Audis from this time period, and have shopped for a lot of them on my own, I've never dealt with a V8. One thing pops to mind though - I think they used a funky braking system with a strangely mounted caliper (the initials UFO come to mind, but I was watching Fox last night), just like some Audi 200tqs of the era. Parts are mucho grande for this system - but it seems a lot of them were swapped over to "normal" brakes.
Tom

·
Administrator
'83 GTI, 04 R32, '14 GLI, '15 GLI
21,442 Posts

Silly- they are fairly "bullet-proof" for the most part but be prepared to pay $$ if parts break. Bodypanels are pretty pricey. They are pretty tough on brakes from what I hear(an driving instructor of mine took me out for some hot laps at VIR in one).
Needless to say in that environment it melted the brakes in two laps.
Pretty cool car, but at the age they are getting to now they are going to be requiring some fairly hefty and costly maintenance to keep them going.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
30,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Need info ASAP: re: 1990 Audi V8 ([email protected])

hmmm this braking system sounds odd. I'd imagine any 3000 pound car could go through brakes with some regularity. How easy are these cars to work on for the common DIY?
And is this V8 an interference motor? The one I'll be looking at has very high miles (187,000 to be exact) but the price is very nice (sub 3 grand). And I'm guessing the previous owner loved the thing, it's got a license braket from the best import shop in the area (this place is the only place to take your Porsche, Ferraris, and highline deals).
Right off the bat I'm needing a reliable commuter to get me to and from work everyday (90 mile round trip) until I get the work down on the Jetta
What better way to do this than an Audi V8

·
Registered
30,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

And from what I've read, the quattro system in these things if fairly simple and reliable right?

·
Registered
14,574 Posts
Re: Need info ASAP: re: 1990 Audi V8 (mutcth)

Alot of people convert them to the G60 brakes (have nothing to do with Corrado). The motors are bullet proof and all but like 500 were Automatics. If the tranny goes, expect to spend close to $3k to get it fixed. Most of those cars last well into the 200k mile range so they are reliable runners. The V8 is silky smooth, but you will want to change that timing belt. As far as I know, they are interference engines. If you can pick it up for under $5k, it's a deal.
Chris

·
Banned
19,336 Posts
Re: Need info ASAP: re: 1990 Audi V8 (mutcth)

The V8 Quattro indeed came with UFO brakes. They are internal caliper brakes. Yes, the caliper is INSIDE the rotor. So replacement rotors are VERY expensice (like $200 each). You can "downgrade" the brakes to Audi G60 which makes future replacement MUCH cheaper. The V8 engine is an interferance engine. Make sure the timing belts (2), water pump, and tensioner are changed on time, every time. Those V8 heads are VERY expensive. Rebuilding after a timing belt brake would be more than $5,000. Of course like all of the 100/200/V8 Audis, there can be electircal gremlins, but overall reliability is very good. The engines are very reliable. Tranies are the weak point. You can expect to rebuild the tranie about every 120,000-150,000 miles.

·
Registered
30,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Need info ASAP: re: 1990 Audi V8 (duandcc)

Thanks for the info guys. I'll defintitly check for the UFO brakes when I go and look it over.
Anything else I should *look* at while I'm with the car? Any trick on testing the tranny's strength?

·
Registered
2,878 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Any trick on testing the tranny's strength?[HR][/HR]​
Try a neutral drop and see what happends
You will probably be able to tell if the tranny is good by the smoothness of the shifts. If they are hard and rough, beware.

·
Administrator
'83 GTI, 04 R32, '14 GLI, '15 GLI
21,442 Posts

Just check for the normal crappy shifting.. ie. rough/snappy shifts or missing gears.
The car I drove in had some HARD miles under its belt and the shifts were smooth as butter still.
One thing is if you dent one of these body panels look out b/c it costs an arm and a leg to repair them evidently. Something I didn't know until my instructor told me.
Oh yeah.. at the limit these cars are so benign. We spent most of our time drifting around corners b/c the brakes had faded out to oblivion.

As a daily driver... um...personally may not be what you are looking for. Don't expect miracle gas mileage for this thing.

·
Registered
30,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Need info ASAP: re: 1990 Audi V8 ([email protected])

Okay, I just drove the sucker

Engine started right up. I swear I heard a faint hiss coming from the tailpipe area but it might've been from the construction crew that was next to the car lot.
Everything inside worked (including the window regulators
).
The car was a pleasure to drive. I had heard that the ride was too harsh for a luxury car
but to me it was perfect and very well composed.
The steering wheel was off centre by about 10 degrees.
The tranny seemed to be fine, I thought I felt a clunk on the occasional downshift, which brings me to the service records: The only receipt in the car was to a tranny shop to fix a "harsh downshift"

The front bumper paint has peeled in a few quarter sized areas. The left rear quarter panel/fender has a ding with white paint on it and the bumper under it has the same white scuff marks (someone backed into something).
The typical scratches around the door handles from fingernails is present...might be able to buff them out though.
There appeared to be a small leak around the valve cover gasket on the passenger side (the faint whiff of burning oil after the drive might be explained by this).
Overall I'd say it's a very fine example of a 12 year old vehicle (the interior is damn near perfect).
I haggled with him, the best he'll do is $2,600.
Should I get it?

·
Registered
30,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Need info ASAP: re: 1990 Audi V8 (TabulaRasa)

LOL it would make it hard to get help then wouldn't it
I did notice though that Bentley does make a manual for it

·
Registered
14,574 Posts

$2600? Dude, go for it. That will be a great car, and if the tranny ever goes, I'll but your front end for $1500.
Chris

·
Registered
26,702 Posts

Go for it! Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Jebus thats cheap! If it ever breaks down, just part it out, it'll be cheaper that way

P.S. Sheep like to ride in luxury

·
Registered
30,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: Need info ASAP: re: 1990 Audi V8 (200HP4dr)

LOL, you know the first line in your sig? I just left my wife a voice mail telling her how wonderful this deal was

But honey, it's only 2 grand!
The only problem is, my last ticket raised my rates and it would cost about $600 more every six months to put this puppy on my policy

·
Registered
30,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: Need info ASAP: re: 1990 Audi V8 (VWVancouver)

Well, the sixth year anniversary is wood and candy....I'll just tie a tootsie roll to the wood trim in the car

1 - 20 of 28 Posts