VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2016 AMG C63S
6,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After replacing my Monsoon w/ and aftermarket setup, my FM radio reception has been awful. It is virtually unlistenable on stations that I pick up fine with a $70 cassette player in my other car. I have been trying to fix it for two years now with no luck. Here are the components:
Alpine CDA-7995
MB Quart 6 1/2" components front/rear
Alumapro 10" Sub
Alpine MRD-F752 amp
Monster 1-farad cap
Here is what I have replaced:
Antenna w/ new Fuba
Antenna w/ non-amplified Fuba, new antenna cable
Head unit (2X, once due to theft)
Antenna adapter (2X)
Using a long antenna lead from my other car does not improve the situation. I tried re-grounding the head unit, that did not help. I now believe I may have some sort of strange interference created by my amplifier. If anyone has any suggestions on where to troubleshoot, I would greatly appreciate it.
Keep in mind: the Alpine CDA-7995 has no internal amp, so I must use a separate amp.

·
Registered
2016 AMG C63S
6,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Need Knowledgable Help Regarding Radio Reception Interference (nobbyv)

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
358 Posts

try a peice of wire in the antenna connector of the headunit. If you are getting better reception that way, the cable is probably shorted somewhere.
The antenna adapters you've tried are amplified (hopefully), if they are amplified there should be an extra wire on the adapter (antenna in, antenna out, supply - the third skinny wire)

·
Registered
2016 AMG C63S
6,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Need Knowledgable Help Regarding Radio Reception Interference (sjaswal)

Thanks for the help, but as I said I replaced the antenna cable. The adapters are the correct ones, they have a 12V lead on them.

·
Registered
358 Posts

the factory antenna cable is 2 part cable (from the antenna to close to the center of dash, then another cable from there to the head unit) - you know that since you replaced the cables.
Did you try replacing the antenna cable with a piece of wire at the back of the Alpine deck just to see if it works that way.
Since you've done everything, Alpine must just make ****ty product right. Throw it away and put the factory deck back in.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Re: Need Knowledgable Help Regarding Radio Reception Interference (sjaswal)

I have experienced the exact same problem. I have tried all sorts of things to narrow it down to the amplifier causing the bad reception. I even got a non amplified antenna and the reception sucked all the way around the car. The amp that is causing this in my situation is the Blaupunkt PA4100 with the T-chip. I even talked to a tech at blaupunkt who said that is known to happen with certain amps especially on Volkswagens. The amp sends out some sort of emf/rf signal that inteferes with the radio signal. I know it's really frustrating cause i dropped the bucks for a nice tuner(Blaupunkt Olando CD72) that should get awesome reception, but it doesn't. I think it's one of those SOL deals. Either listen to CDs, get xm, or get a different amp. If you find out any new info please contact me, thanks and good luck http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2016 AMG C63S
6,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Need Knowledgable Help Regarding Radio Reception Interference (can86)

can86,
I have also concluded that it must be my amplifier. Of course, no one at Alpine has any idea what I'm talking about. I'll let you know if I find out anything else. Jjst out of curiosity, where do you have your amp grounded?

·
Registered
550 Posts

Quote, originally posted by nobbyv »
can86,
I have also concluded that it must be my amplifier. Of course, no one at Alpine has any idea what I'm talking about. I'll let you know if I find out anything else. Jjst out of curiosity, where do you have your amp grounded?

You need an amplified Fuba antenna. This is what VW's come with from the factory. When installing a new HU you have to power the Fuba with +12V. This usually means a dedicated amplified antenna adaptor. If you don't do this with the Fuba the reception will be poor.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Re: Need Knowledgable Help Regarding Radio Reception Interference (83 Rabbit GTI)

I grounded the amp underneath the rear seat, and it checks out better than good with the volt meter. I also have the 12v to the antenna with the fuba adapter. I actually just hooked up a speaker to my head unit and got unbelieveably good reception with the amp off, and hardly any with it on. It was a frustrating couple of days trying to figure all this out.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Re: Need Knowledgable Help Regarding Radio Reception Interference (can86)

I second the amp interference. I had a customer who had a PG tantrum amp on the back of his seat, with the seat folded down so the amp faced up, horrible reception. Put seat up, bad reception. Replace amp with a PPI, perfect reception. The PG techs said that amp was know to produce RFI and was a problem in certain vehicles. Strangest thing I'd seen in a while, but it happened.
Try turning off the amp, and just check and see if the deck scans to more stations when you press search. You don't need to hear, just see if it locks in on more stations.

·
Registered
2016 AMG C63S
6,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Need Knowledgable Help Regarding Radio Reception Interference (audiophile)

83 Rabbitt GTI,
Thanks for the suggestion, but as I mentioned several times I do have the correct amplified antenna adapter.
Audiophile,
Thank you very much for your suggestion. I will try the test as you suggest and see if I can pull in more stations. My Alpine actually has a signal strength meter that should help. Have you run across any other amps that are prone to generating excessive RFI? Someone had recommended a Pheonix amp to me but I think I'll skip it based on what you have reported. I may try a DB7 from Diamond Audio. Any info on these?
can1986,
I'll let you know if I find out anything else.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts

The PG tech said it was only this one model amp that did it. It was a mono sub amp, so you wouldnt be using that for your highs anyway. I havent had any issues with alpine, but I haven't used it in that car. Let us know how this turns out.

·
Registered
2016 AMG C63S
6,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Need Knowledgable Help Regarding Radio Reception Interference (audiophile)

Thanks again, man. Where abouts in Manch Angeles do you work by the way? Maybe once I sell my Alpine I could come up there and try an amp you guys carry.............

·
Registered
1,503 Posts

That would be cool. My shop is Audiolink. Maple tree plaza. We carry alpine, JL, PG,PPI,zapco,clarion,memphis, just to name a few. Give us a shout we'll hook ya!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.