VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I have changed oil myself on all my previous cars. I now am going to change it on my 1.8T. But I have ran into a huge problem, I cannot get this damn filter off. I already drainded the oil (stupid, I know) and was trying to get the filter off and I just can't seem to. I need to change the oil to get to work, but I cant remove the filter. I am also changing to synthetic, so I can't just go without changing the filter. Please help with any tips at all on how to get this thing off. Thanx a lot for your help

·
Registered
7,025 Posts
Re: Need oil filter help FAST! How to remove this damn thing (EndisForever)

hehe i had the same problem as do many people.
read the FAQ and get a set of 14 or 16" channel locks from home depot.

·
Registered
236 Posts

it is 100X easier with one of those caps that fit on the end of the filter, then you just hook up to the ratchet, and turn....comes off smooth. (have to be under the car, and remove the bottom air dam plastic peice) other than that, it is a bitch to get at grip of that thing.
Louie

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Need oil filter help FAST! How to remove this damn thing (20lbbooster)

I really appreciate the help. I think I will try to use the channell locks or the screwdriver, seeing as I can't drive n e where to get the other solutions. Thanx again

·
Registered
110 Posts
Re: Need oil filter help FAST! How to remove this damn thing (20lbbooster)

quote:[HR][/HR]it is 100X easier with one of those caps that fit on the end of the filter, then you just hook up to the ratchet, and turn....comes off smooth. (have to be under the car, and remove the bottom air dam plastic peice) other than that, it is a bitch to get at grip of that thing.
Louie[HR][/HR]​
Do you know what size cap it is off hand? I'm assuming the VW filter. thanks

·
Registered
126 Posts

These guys hooked you up with the answer to your problem already but I'm gonna go OT and ask you something else...Is your name from the Ataris album ?

[Modified by Prodigy, 9:32 PM 8-8-2002]

·
Registered
10,102 Posts
Re: Need oil filter help FAST! How to remove this damn thing (H2O WOLF)

quote:[HR][/HR]jam a screwdriver through it and use that to torque it off.[HR][/HR]​
WARNING! WARNING! ONLY USE AS LAST DITCH EFFORT!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Re: Need oil filter help FAST! How to remove this damn thing (Prodigy)

quote:[HR][/HR]These guys hooked you up with the answer to your problem already but I'm gonna go OT and ask you something else...Is your name from the Ataris album ?

[Modified by Prodigy, 9:32 PM 8-8-2002][HR][/HR]​
Ataris rules http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
BTW: I just has the same problem with the first oil change
, I finished taking out the oil filter in pieces
LOL

[Modified by Turbonium20V, 1:12 AM 8-9-2002]

·
Registered
422 Posts
Re: Need oil filter help FAST! How to remove this damn thing (Turbonium20V)

K when i did my first oil change i had to puncture the filter around 4 times to get it to turn far enough to take it off by hand
, that moment is now known as "the longest oil change on Earth".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts