VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK... I got a too.slow and I am looking into getting a chip for it. I need peoples real opinions on which chip is producing the best gains? I am looking at Techtonics chip which I have heard a lot about.( I am planning on getting their 268 cam too if it is not too much work to put swap it in?) I know I would need to get the chip programmed for their cam as well. The other chip that I was looking into getting is the GIAC "Performance Chip".
Which one would you guys suggest and what are the number gains you have seen. Also, how is the techtonics 268 cam working for you guys?

Thanks,
Joe

Modified by GTI3Driver at 4:20 PM 11-1-2007

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Re: Need real opinions. (GTI3Driver)

GIAC http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif . And also new springs to go with that big of a cam

·
Registered
63 Posts

i heard autotech makes a good chip but thats just what i have heard. I believe their website has dyno sheets.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts

unless ur not planning on turboing it or supercharging it then i would go with a GIAC chip and cams etc etc
but if your going to upgrade one day just save ur loot and do it right!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I MIGHT go with a turbo. I am debating a turbo addition or a VR6 swap(which would be later turbo'd). What would be the "Right Way" you say if I do plan on going with a turbo?

·
Registered
11,592 Posts
Re: Need real opinions. (renob81)

Quote, originally posted by renob81 »
GIAC http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif . And also new springs to go with that big of a cam
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Re: (GTI3Driver)

you came to the wrong place to get a "real" opinion.

·
Registered
12,935 Posts

Quote, originally posted by GTI3Driver »
Well I MIGHT go with a turbo. I am debating a turbo addition or a VR6 swap(which would be later turbo'd). What would be the "Right Way" you say if I do plan on going with a turbo?

my real opinion is you just made this post cause you seriously have no clue what you wanta do.
if you do cams as high as 268's, you will waste your money if you want to turbo the 2.0 because they will have to come out.
if you do 268's, and than a Vr swap, you wasted the money because well, you cant convert them.
my real opinion, do what YOU wanta do, but do it right the first time so you are not wasting money that can go to other fun mods

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I definitely have plans for a VR6 turbo swap in the future. That project will be fully built out of the vehicle, and then when ready and everything is in my possession, then I will swap them out. Seeing that the chip and cam is pretty cheap I was thinking about getting them until I get the VR6T set up done which would probably be in a long time. I just want to see what people think is the best chip and what numbers they got after the install. Right now I am leaning to the GIAC chip. Still undecided on the cam I am going to go with.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts

Quote, originally posted by GTI3Driver »
I definitely have plans for a VR6 turbo swap in the future. That project will be fully built out of the vehicle, and then when ready and everything is in my possession, then I will swap them out. Seeing that the chip and cam is pretty cheap I was thinking about getting them until I get the VR6T set up done which would probably be in a long time. I just want to see what people think is the best chip and what numbers they got after the install. Right now I am leaning to the GIAC chip. Still undecided on the cam I am going to go with.

Gotta lvoe the optimistic teenager. Gotta crawl before you can walk.

·
Registered
10,647 Posts
Re: (VolksEffect)

Quote, originally posted by VolksEffect »

Gotta lvoe the optimistic teenager. Gotta crawl before you can walk.

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
497 Posts
just buy the cam chip combo from TT I think around christmas they put it on sale with stuff for the head like retainers and valve springs, so you can probably get it all for under 400 if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Chip: Techtonics custom burned for 268*
Cam: Techtonics 268*
Done. But you're out $400 because these parts don't work with your future VR6 swap.
Chip alone, from GIAC, TT, Autotech will net maybe 7 hp at the crankshaft. Maybe a 15 hp gain at the crankshaft with the cam added in.

·
Registered
10,647 Posts
Re: (Cabrio60)

Forget the VR swap.....
save for Boost.......
Here is a 268 at 17 psi......not recomended BTW
I now Have a boost friendly AT 270 (less valve overlap)
and have been running it at 19psi at -3 deg cam timing

IT's much better now......but it was not bad then either....
And my fuel pump was on it's last legs...hence the cut out at 6,200
now it pulls strong to the brick wall rev limit at 7000

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
Re: (Salsa GTI)

Quote, originally posted by Salsa GTI »

I wish digital images were like 35mm and you could only copy them so many times, I'm getting aweful sick of seeing this plot everywhere, dave.

·
Registered
10,647 Posts
Re: (ABF Jeff)

LOL I know i know....I need to hit the rollers again

Then beat that horse as well.
And i need to post new pics ov my engine with my perdy g60 valve cover

1 - 20 of 23 Posts