VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I rarely come to these parts, but would like some advice if you please.
I want to get a set of tires that are more sporty/grand touring type, but have the ability to tackle the occasional forest service road.
I have a pickup with decent A/Ts for really getting out there, but I take my Tiguan camping and hiking a few times a year.
Hard part is the size, it has 235 50 18s and I will not be buying smaller wheels to fit taller tires. I like the idea of an inch or two lift, but that is cost prohibitive and the front spring perch limits tire size before suspension height so bigger tires really can't fit without a bunch of mods.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Continental DWS?

The big problem here is that 50 sidewall. I don't know what the forest service roads are like where you are...but here they range from stupid smooth to something that looks like no one has been there in 20 years. I wouldn't want to do the latter rut filled, rock filled, craptacular version without a little more sidewall. If you stick to the smoother version a set of DWS on your stock rims would do fine.

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The Continental DWS does seem to have big enough tread groves to clear small rocks and mud.
I didn't know that the Geolanders came in that short of a sidewall, but that might be an option.
Like I mentioned, I have the Ford if I need to climb rocks and deal with bad ruts. What I'm looking for is a good daily driven tire that does good for my 100m/day commute on two lane roads with curves, but can deal with rocky, hilly, muddy dirt roads a few times a year.

I don't know if what I'm asking for even exists but something like a sporty, grand tourer, that is built strong enough that it won't just shred apart if I take it up a hill covered in jagged broken down granite gravel.

·
Registered
22,278 Posts
Yokohama Geolandar AT. We got these for my mom for her 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland as a good compromise for what little winter driving she does. I would trust them for light offroad use, they are a great compromise with little road noise etc, great tire and wearing well. You would have to compromise slightly on the size with a 60 instead of a 50.

https://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/geolandar-a-t-g015

1 - 5 of 5 Posts