VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked my oil the other day and noticed that it was getting pretty low. The level was barely showing up on my dipstick...(about 0.25 cms).
I Immediately went out and bought some premium non-synthetic 5W-30 oil to top things off for the time being. I managed to fill about 1.2 liters...the dipstick level was just at the max edge of the min-max level….filled a little too much than I’d like….oh well. I admit that I've pretty busy lately and haven't checked my oil for at least a month and a half.

The last time I checked my oil, it was at about the middle of the min-max level.....so my car's used up about 1 liter over 5200km. The owner’s manual says to expect increased oil consumption during the break-in period and under high-stress/high-speed situations, but is my case excessive? My question to all you new 1.8T owners, what has your oil consumption been during the break-in period?
My 2002 GTI is pushing 5300km and the oil's looking pretty dirty. I'd like to do my own oil change soon. Mobil 1 Tri-Synthetic Formula seems to be a popular choice but is everyone using their 5W-30 blend? Any other popular/recommended brands? The owner’s manual recommends 5W-40, but states that 5W-30 is ok as well. The 5W-40 blends don’t seem to be as popular as the 5W-30 blends at my local Canadian Tire. Is there really any significant difference between the two?
I'd also like to know what kind of part(s) I'll need for a full oil change. I've heard that oem oil filters are the way to go. How about any new seals or drain plugs I should replace while I'm at it? Anyone got part #’s for the stuff I’ll need.
Finally, anyone have access to a Bentley manual willing to scan the oil change procedure for me? Or better yet someone with the Bentley Official Factory Repair CD-ROM Manual willing to print the pages into PDF format via Adobe Acrobat? I'd like to purchase my own copy of the CD-ROM manual, but still trying to find the best deal I can online before I commit on the purchase.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Re: Need some advice on oil consumption on new 2002 GTI 1.8T... (viper_chan)

Make sure you use the oem bosch filter any other filter does not fit right and will cause leaks trust me I know first hand http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
165 Posts
Re: Need some advice on oil consumption on new 2002 GTI 1.8T

I have a 2002 Jetta 1.8T and recently changed my oil at 3,000 miles. The engine did not burn very much oil during the break-in period; your report of 1 liter sounds excessive, but I only have my own experience by which to judge it. My 1986 GTI (1.8L, 8V) did not burn very much oil during the break-in period either.
Here are some issues that you should be aware of when changing your own oil. First, you will need a Torx driver (#25 I think) to remove the plastic panel behind the valence. This will give you access to the oil filter from below. Second, use an OEM filter. They are very good and worth the cost even at the dealership (how much are you paying for oil?). I used a Mahle filter that I purchased online. Mahle and Mann are OEM suppliers to VW; I am not sure, but I do not believe that Bosch supplies oil filters to VW. Third, make sure that you have a good filter wrench. I have several for different situations. The cup style worked the best because it allowed me to use a socket wrench and extension to turn the filter (the filter was on very tight and could not be turned by hand). Do not use the wrench to tighten the new filter. Typically, 1/4 - 1/2 turn by hand after the filter gasket makes contact is enough. Fourth, I expected to use and had ready a new copper washer for the drain plug. My GTI uses them and I have a supply on hand. A copper washer deforms when you tighten the drain plug and should be replaced at every oil change. However, my 1.8T has a steel washer that was not deformed. I re-used it. Finally, do not believe the manual about the amount of oil this engine requires for an oil change with filter replacement--the amount in the manual is too much. There have been a number of posts on this issue. Too much oil can ruin the catalytic converter. I put in 4.25 quarts (of Mobil 1 0W-30) and checked the dipstick. The oil level was midpoint between the two bends on the dipstick. After checking everything, I ran the engine for several minutes to check for leaks and replaced the plastic panel. After the engine cooled, I checked the oil level again. It was still at the midpoint. If it had needed more oil, I would have added it. I hope this helps.

[Modified by DR VW, 11:36 AM 4-12-2002]

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Need some advice on oil consumption on new 2002 GTI 1.8T (DR VW)

quote:[HR][/HR]I have a 2002 Jetta 1.8T and recently changed my oil at 3,000 miles. The engine did not burn very much oil during the break-in period; your report of 1 liter sounds excessive, but I only have my own experience by which to judge it. My 1986 GTI (1.8L, 8V) did not burn very much oil during the break-in period either.
Here are some issues that you should be aware of when changing your own oil. First, you will need a Torx driver (#25 I think) to remove the plastic panel behind the valence. This will give you access to the oil filter from below. Second, use an OEM filter. They are very good and worth the cost even at the dealership (how much are you paying for oil?). I used a Mahle filter that I purchased online. Mahle and Mann are OEM suppliers to VW; I am not sure, but I do not believe that Bosch supplies oil filters to VW. Third, make sure that you have a good filter wrench. I have several for different situations. The cup style worked the best because it allowed me to use a socket wrench and extension to turn the filter (the filter was on very tight and could not be turned by hand). Do not use the wrench to tighten the new filter. Typically, 1/4 - 1/2 turn by hand after the filter gasket makes contact is enough. Fourth, I expected to use and had ready a new copper washer for the drain plug. My GTI uses them and I have a supply on hand. A copper washer deforms when you tighten the drain plug and should be replaced at every oil change. However, my 1.8T has a steel washer that was not deformed. I re-used it. Finally, do not believe the manual about the amount of oil this engine requires for an oil change with filter replacement--the amount in the manual is too much. There have been a number of posts on this issue. Too much oil can ruin the catalytic converter. I put in 4.25 quarts (of Mobil 1 0W-30) and checked the dipstick. The oil level was midpoint between the two bends on the dipstick. After checking everything, I ran the engine for several minutes to check for leaks and replaced the plastic panel. After the engine cooled, I checked the oil level again. It was still at the midpoint. If it had needed more oil, I would have added it. I hope this helps.

[Modified by DR VW, 11:36 AM 4-12-2002][HR][/HR]​
Thanks for the info DR VW!
Can anyone else confirm that the new 1.8Ts now come with steel washers for the oil filter instead of the old copper ones that need to be replaced at each oil change?

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Re: Need some advice on oil consumption on new 2002 GTI 1.8T (viper_chan)

quote:[HR][/HR]
Can anyone else confirm that the new 1.8Ts now come with steel washers for the oil filter instead of the old copper ones that need to be replaced at each oil change?[HR][/HR]​
The washer that he's reffering to is for the oil drain plug, not the filter. It's, from what I've been told, a crush washer. I've re-used mine and I don't seem to have any problems. I would keep an eye on it though, when you leave your parking space take note of anything on the ground.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Re: Need some advice on oil consumption on new 2002 GTI 1.8T (smd3)

I agree with everyone except, the washer is an aluminum washer and I replace it every time. Since I have elected to do my own oil changes, I get a filter and a washer from the dealer every time and keep the receipts so they can't mess with me on any warranty issues. My .02
Don

·
Registered
132 Posts
Re: Need some advice on oil consumption on new 2002 GTI 1.8T (A-Money)

My car burns no oil whatsoever. I check it all the time, and it is always has the same level of oil. But I would check that washer on the drain plug.
btw, my car has 7k mi.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Re: Need some advice on oil consumption on new 2002 GTI 1.8T (tblrock)

My car burns more when in the summer, as I like to drive harder. I would add a litre at the end of the summer.
When I switch to Mobil 1 Synth, I didn't burn any, the stuff is amazing, however, my KPG went down
I have asked the dealer and they don't know why.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Need some advice on oil consumption on new 2002 GTI 1.8T (A-Money)

quote:[HR][/HR]Use Mobile 1 15w50 and will cut down on the oil comsumption.[HR][/HR]​
But doesn't the owner's manual recommend 5w40 or 5w30 if it's not available? Are you using Mobil 1 15w50 right now?
I was thinking of trying Mobil 1 5w30....

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Need some advice on oil consumption on new 2002 GTI 1.8T (tblrock)

quote:[HR][/HR]My car burns no oil whatsoever. I check it all the time, and it is always has the same level of oil. But I would check that washer on the drain plug.
btw, my car has 7k mi.[HR][/HR]​
I haven't noticed any major leaks under my car....and the oil's never been changed yet.....but I'll keep an eye out...

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Need some advice on oil consumption on new 2002 GTI 1.8T (Stewz-GTI)

quote:[HR][/HR]My car burns more when in the summer, as I like to drive harder. I would add a litre at the end of the summer.
When I switch to Mobil 1 Synth, I didn't burn any, the stuff is amazing, however, my KPG went down
I have asked the dealer and they don't know why. [HR][/HR]​
Stewz-GTI: What blend of Mobil 1 Synth are you running?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Re: Need some advice on oil consumption on new 2002 GTI 1.8T (billgti)

considering I've never heard of "flag" I would imagine so -- though I could be completely off. I wonder what my dealership uses...
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
edit: bill, how tf did you manage to get 450+ posts?!?!?!

[Modified by AD, 1:45 AM 4-15-2002]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.